• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Jeffrey, you're killing us!!

Biscuit

Verified
Or me, at least. OK, show of hands, how many of you have logged on several times today, checked the site, and wrung hands, pulled hair (those of us that have it ;) ), muttered imprecations, or flung cats or other household animals around in our pent-up anticipation and anxiety?

Or maybe it's just me...

:)

Soon now, very soon :)

I had a late night last night, but I'm doing the update now so it should only be a couple of hours.

On an unrelated note, but connected to why I was out late, I'd like to say that if I controlled the copyright to the Matrix, I would already be in court right now registering my complaint about the movie The One. ;)

Wel, this is the way I heard it......

Totally off topic, but the reason people could fly, jump around and so forth defying gravity in medievel China was that, back then, you really could do that! O.k., hold up, I'll explain....

Before the industrial revolution, before the spread of handguns making defense easy and, really, before formal, oragnized public eduction, certain people specialized in certain things...A blacksmith only knew blacksmithing (he could barely cook for himself, probably couldn't read, could add enough to stay in business.... that kind of thing...) A tailor specialized in clothing; his dad did it, hid grandfather did it, it was what he was taught and what he did all day, all his life.

A great swordsman, the type so great that he had a reputation and could offer his services for protection or as a teacher, probably trained hours and hours a day, exercising and prcaticing. That was that person's life, that pesron's specialty. Anyone could shoot a gun, great swordsmanship was trickier, took LOTS of practice. Well, in Kung Fu lore, there were those people who practiced so much, and became so masterful at kung fu, that they could work with, even around, nature and the elements ( remeber, kung fu is based on the natural movements of animals, so it is nature based to begin with...) What happened was, via a mixture of word of mouth, superstition, error, and plain old tall-tale telling, it was thought that some kung fu experts could run or swim ( not fly, per se) throught the air, or could run on water, because they were so adept at their craft that they could be fast enough and light enough not to disturb the elements around them too much ( check out the 80's movie "Remo Williams"- Fred Ward, the student, can run across wet cement; Joel Grey, the Master, can run across water. The untrained thugs can do neither...). So, whenever you see someone defying gravity or flying through the air in a martial arts movie, what it represents is the characters are the best of the best, experts who are at the pinnacle of human achievement, at least taken from a midievel Chinese point of view. Kind of like our American legends of Pecos Bill or John Henry, Paul Bunyon, etc. No one EVER roped a tornado and rode it, but you can bet some old tough, salty cowboy got caught up in a twister, was carried away with it, and survived.. and it might have been witnessed by someone, too. Now you can bet each time that story was told in the 1800s by some drunk in a bar, facts changed and things became exaggerated... but enough superstious & drunk old timers believed it & put their own spin on it... and a legend is born. I used to think that those kung fu films were so stupid, watching people defy gravity like that... but after reading about what all that "flying" symbolized, what it represented and why it was there ( don't take it literally, it's more about fighters creating a physical poetry working within nature) the movies made more sense. And, just to keep this slightly on topic, "Wing Chun" has a lot of that flying through the air stuff, and two tickling bits, both with Michelle Yoeh from "Crouching Tiger"...

Shew! I'm worn out!

Now what about Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back being almost similar to Pee-Wee's Big Adventure? Snoogins!

I completly understand.... a film can show us crazy things, as long as that film doesn't break it's own rules it's estblished....

I liked Crouching Tiger a lot, but then I'd watched plenty of wuxia ("flying people") martial arts movies in the years before, so I was used to how that particular genre works. Watch a Tsui Hark movie sometime ... compared to his stuff, Crouching Tiger looks as sedate as a Merchant Ivory film.

Haven't seen The One yet, but I do have one question about it: why would you need all that Matrix computer-imaging crap when you've got Jet Li, who can do jaw-dropping stunts all by himself?

Strel?

Why not email him and find out what was going on in medevial times from an eyewitness? :p

Medieval Poland maybe - Teutonic Knights and Cossaks will fly if you smack 'em hard enough with a mace. Too bad no one thought to cork a lance - we could have put the bastards in orbit!

BTW it wasn't Vikings who put wings on battle helmets. It was Poles, and they had a practical purpose: a defense against lariats, used routinely in combat by Cossaks.

Strelnikov

Door 44 Productions
What's New

5/4/2024
The Final vote for the 2023 Golden Feather Awards is open! Visit the GFA fouem and cast your ballot!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** LadyInternet ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back