• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

(No Clip) Just a suggestion for Downloading Clips

EmCee

I really didn't know where to post this, and I figured it would go unnoticed unless I posted here....

I think the community should start using BitTorrent. Why bother with all these bandwith problems? Bit Torrent is a nice solution as long as a lot of people are using it. Sure, it would probably be a slow change, but we could simply post .torrent links on the forums, and everyone would be downloading at the same time anyway.

It would be so much easier rather than looking for a good p2p server to download tickling files from, besides Bit Torrent is compatible with a lot of different p2p programs already anyway.

Let's hear some feedback.
(I say this while waiting on a Queue on Shareaza in line as #200+ on average)

It's a good idea...I think maybe if we scheduled to share a certain really large clip we could arrange for a certain group of people with high speed connections to seed the file for a day or a couple of days. It's worth looking into at least. I know I've got some really big files that I'm almost certain are legal to share but they are */m so maybe not as many people would participate.
It's an excellent idea though...if it works we could schedule bit torrent "events" like that regularly :D
Im leaving this here cause, like you said, it'll get noticed :D

nessonite said:
It's a good idea...I think maybe if we scheduled to share a certain really large clip we could arrange for a certain group of people with high speed connections to seed the file for a day or a couple of days. It's worth looking into at least. I know I've got some really big files
It's an excellent idea though...if it works we could schedule bit torrent "events" like that regularly :D

On that note...it could eliminate the problem people have with joining files(as with the splits[which I'll never understand how people can make it so complicated]), but alternatively, it could create new confusion =/

Basically it's just click & let download though after downloading a client...no different than what people are used to.

Yeah...Ive used bit torrent a few times and I can't say I've found it terribly complicated.
Im not quite sure of the mechanics of it though. Is there anything we'd need to do to make sure the downloaders find the seeds? Is there a network they need to be connected to or do they just download the torrent file and it'll find the seeds automatically? Enlighten me!

Someone needs to host a program called a tracker. It connects seeds to clients, and generally measures who's uploading and who's leeching. You might consider taking a request for one to the admins. It would certainly reduce strain on the servers here, because people wouldn't be downloading from here.

Also, torrents for single clips suck. It'd make more sense to make a weekly digest or something.

I'd be willing to be a seed anyway. I've got an ultra fast internet connection uaually...I just lack the technical know-how. I know what you said probably isnt complicated but I sure don't understand it much :p
I bet the admin would know what to do. If he ever stops by I'll be sure to ask him about implementing it. :)
And what do you think would be a good way to set up a weekly digest? You mean like a number of clips be available each week?

I myself am looking at a 5mbit/512kbit connection... though I don't know how BitTorent works either, and I don't know how I ended up with it on my computer. :p

I am thinking of upping my connection to 7mbit/1.5mbit as well.

I will warn you guys, the biggest issue you will have is making sure you have the clip wmv. formatted before you upload it. At Da Spot, one of the biggest issues I ran into with RapidShare was people not wanting to watch the clips on anything other than WMP (nothing wrong with it; even though there are better media players, people get used to using the same program). SO then you end up having either yourself or other generous enough users having to reformat the clips after they download them.

Nessonite: You know how the webserver runs the forums? It'd have to run another program called a tracker. That's all.

Yeah, you'd send all the clips to one person, and they'd seed the whole group, rather than seeding each one. It makes things easy for the person downloading. Also, if you like, you can download just one clip out of a torrent of many, if you have a good client (Azureus)

Dajerx: What are you talking about? We see plenty of clips here that aren't WMV. Has someone instituted a new rule around here?

Sounds simple enough! I will definately see if I can implement something like that. This is one of the best ideas for the forum Ive ever heard!

And yeah...you can upload videos of any format :p

Im not saying they "cant" be posted in any other format. But typically, if it is done in another format, you will have someone post in the thread "can we get a version in .wmv ?"

It was just something I have encountered, and I personally have reformatted a couple of clips in here so that both versions were available.

Sounds like a good idea, it does. THe weekly digest is probably going to be the best way to do this with smaller clips, as using torrents for single clips, as previously stated, is quite impractical.

This would be nice if implemented. A good complement to the regular clips sections.

ahhhhh I just now understand the whole weekly digest thing. :p
Question: would all the clips be of the same type so people wouldnt be spending time downloading things they wont want? Or would there be more variety so that everyone can find something good. I would rather to the former and just make it a different type of collection each week.

Wow...havn't been on in a few days, and I check back and see my thread has actually gotten some good feedback. I'm glad this seemed to spark interest.

I also don't mind seeding, it's almost the same as being connected on a file-sharing network. As long as people aren't greedy, it's fine with me. I have a pretty good connection, it gets slow sometimes, but I rarely have to start closing connections for speed reasons.

So, who will be the first to get this snowball rolling? :cool:

Edit:
And nessonite, I think you have a point too. I wouldn't want to be downloading a hundred clips only for a few ones I want (lol...sounds like people complaining about store-bought cds). I guess it would vary though depending on how lazy the person was. ie: some people might make a general donation

Last edited:
I dont know a bit about how the whole tracker thing would work but if someone could explain it and tell me how to do it then we'll go for it. I assume The Admin would have to do something.

The only problem thatr may occur is when people start sharing PPV and Member clips... Might even be without knowing, cos some people arent up to speed on copyright and licensing laws.

Something to think about

I was thinking that the collection available would be predetermined and put together by us...maybe in a zip file? Am I totally on the wrong track?

Maybe I was reading the suggestion all wrong. As I said, I'm pretty unfamiliar with Bit Torrent and how it works. :p
What I had thought was that there would be a collection of clips, maybe some big files or something, that would be put together each week based on a certain theme. Then a few people would host the collection for others to download (and share at the same time as thats how bit torrent works, right?).
The people doing the seeding would have to agree to make it avaiable for at least a period of a few days straight to make sure it's always there.
And then the next week we'd put together another set of clips. We'd make sure that they are all "free" clips and not from people who have asked they their clips not be shared here.

Yeah thats a good idea, Im pretty familiar with how torrents work And yeh you can set it so that only certain ppl can upload to the network.

Yeah that is a good idea.

Oh cool! I'm not as lost in space as I was afraid I might be :p
The admin has been pretty absent recently but I will bring it up with him and hopefully it's something we can swing :D Do you have links to anything I can read to learn more about how to set up and run a tracker and network? Thanks! :D

Using BitTorrent

Actually using BT is pretty complicated, besides using the software itself with locating chunks, no preview etc. there is the problem of the server which someone will have to manage, and know what he is doing. I guess the torrents could be announced here, however there may be complications...

I belive a much simpler sollution would be using a more autonomous and flexible peer to peer application, like DC++. This way, everyone who wants to share a file could do it, for however long, on whichever server, giving it on any number of slots he likes. Searching would be easier too, if the 'hot' servers are known; DC also allows browsing one's share. There would be a problem: setting up a hub (server). Here too, someone would have to know what he is doing, and leave a computer running for long periods of time. There is an easy solution for this, though: 'we', the community could use one or several existing hubs, maybe ones orientated towards sexual material.
Most hubs allow a minimum of 5 - 10 GB share, and the small ones go down to 1. As long as a user has activity - either downloads or uploads, there shouldn't be any problems with sharing non-mainstream material; again if the hub is sexual orientated or sexual material is allowed. And those abound...

Then again one could always go back to the old 'server centered' file sharing applications, and take what he can get.

Blablabla its always the same. I must be some sort of (un)lucky guy who alwyas comes across conversatons like this. Its always the same, sooner or later this will turn into a war which P2P programi si the best for this particular use. Let me give you a small comarison on the ones i think have the best chances to win :

- Bittorrent :
Pro: Fast, reliable, stable connection.
Cons: Complicated, needs tracker, Up/Dl ratio matters a lot, no "search" button.

- Direct Connect :
Pro: Fast
Cons: If one person hosts the file you can download it only when he is online, Min. share requiments to get onto hubs, complicated to use, requires a HUB to connect.

- eMule/eDonkey2K/Sharezza
Pro: Reliable, huge popularity, already got a lot of tickling material, no central server required.
Cons: Complicated, long waiting times, a lot of copyright protected material (mostly TC), no control whats beeing shared, consumes a lot of CPU time.

I think that for what we're looking to do that bit torrent seems like the logical choice.
We try it...if it works it works, if it doesnt it doesnt. I'd rather try and fail than not try it at all. :)

What's New

6/16/2024
There will be Trivia in our Chat Room this Sunday eve at 11PM EDT,. Join us!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** Jojo45 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back