• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Please help me buy a DVD recorder

nessonite1

3rd Level White Feather
Hey all...I am looking to finally buy a dvd recorded for my computer and I need some help. Ive never bought or owned one before so Im not entirely comfortable choosing one with no guidance.
I guess I need one that will be as flexible as possible without going over my budget. I have about $60 to spend between the drive and shipping. I'd like to buy from www.newegg.com.
I found this one that looks good and has good reviews:
http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827106966

But if I can find one that does as much for less $$ I'd like to. I know I need something that will do dual layer discs cause I'd like to back-up movies and stuff. And then there is some stuff about +'s and -'s that I dont understand a bit. I have some dvd+rs that a friend sent me that I need it to read but thats all I know.
So if anyone can find me something better than what I found on newegg I'd really apreciate it. :) I know some of you are super-techy and know all about this stuff. :)
Thanks!!

Ness...a good one that I was looking at was the Sony model, but I think it's a bit more that $60.00. I'm not sure what they are now, this was a year or so ago, and I was looking for an external model (sidenote: whatever I add on to my PC from now on will deffo be external - especially hard drive(s) -, so I can unplug/turn it off when I'm not using it, for reasons you can probably figure out).

Lately though, my interest in DVD has resurfaced, but I still have many questions about what can be done with a DVD software wise. I know most DVD's can be copied now (for my own protection of the DVD movies, etc. I invest in...as I do with my CD's, I make a copy to play/haul around in the car, and the original stays under lock and key so to speak. Who cares if a burned copy gets lost or stolen, right? Just burn another copy!). I buy alot of music video/concert DVD's, and want to find out if I can rip just certain videos off of one DVD to make a mix of my fav's, if you get my drift.

NewEgg.com is an excellent source, btw. I've done business with them many times in the past.

Last edited:
A warning about dual-layer disks: At the moment (And for some time now), the disks themselves are horrendously expensive. They sell in packs of three (Mostly) for anywhere from $15.00 and up for THREE DISKS. I have a dual-layer burner, but I have yet to buy anything other than normal recordable DVDs for it since I can get much more space (Overall) for much less money. Gah, come down prices, I command thee!

Anywho, I have been using an NEC model since my current computer was constructed last summer, and I reccomend their burners. I have had no problems using it thus far, and in doing a quick newegg search, I found one model that does dual-layer disks.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827152039
It comes in several colors, some more expensive than others, but that one right there is a bit cheaper than the one you spoke of. Good reviews, too.

Thanks!! :D
I know DL discs are a bit pricy...but $5 isn't so bad as I will not be using them terribly often. Mostly when I download a freakishly huge movie like I have been in recent days. My 120 gig hard drive is filling rapidly and if I split the files up to cd-Rs I'd run out of what I thought would be a lifetime supply VERY quickly. :)

Hey I have this web site that has pretty decent deals on computer equipment.

tigerdirect.com

Yeah I have heard of TigerDirect too. Ive heard good things about them also...just wanted newEgg cause Ive bought from them and already have an account and all but if They've got something comparable at TigerDirect I could give them a shot too. :D
*runs off to check it out*

I bought my work station (Compaq Evo W4000) from TigerDirect, I think it was about 3 years ago...maybe 2! basically I got well over $2500. worth of computer power for less than $1000.00! I'd say that was a deal!

Building a Franken-Puter is definately the way to go, Stormy. I started with an $1100 Compaq (barf) about 5 years ago. Since then I have slowly replaced all of the parts and now the only part left of the original is the CD burner (which oddly enough still works perfectly). Even the case is different now. :p All the parts were totally free though :D. From an old motherboard from my brother to a case from a 'puter hubby brought home from work.

On HDS's reccomendation I went with the NEC. It had a bazillion possitive reviews and, though being in NJ I had to pay sales tax, shipping was free so I got out of there for $52. Yay!

Thanks HDS and thanks all for your advice :D

well, damn Ness, i just sold an extra one i had just 3 days ago, too bad i missed this. coulda sold it cheap.

and too bad you don't live closer to me, i coulda installed it for free.

nessonite said:
Building a Franken-Puter is definately the way to go, Stormy. I started with an $1100 Compaq (barf) about 5 years ago. Since then I have slowly replaced all of the parts and now the only part left of the original is the CD burner (which oddly enough still works perfectly). Even the case is different now. :p All the parts were totally free though :D. From an old motherboard from my brother to a case from a 'puter hubby brought home from work.

On HDS's reccomendation I went with the NEC. It had a bazillion possitive reviews and, though being in NJ I had to pay sales tax, shipping was free so I got out of there for $52. Yay!

Thanks HDS and thanks all for your advice :D

I know what you mean about the "(barf)" part, but at the time I didn't know much about them or 'pooters in general, just that I wanted one that was very powerful so I wouldn't have to worry about upgrading for at least 5 years. I think I got that, but by todays standards I don't know. What I do know is that my next major 'puter purchase will deffo be a Mac or Apple, but I don't see that happening anytime soon (not much money-a car with a blown engine that I still have 9 more easy payments of $300.00 on-a dad that is slowly dieing a little more each day-a shit job-etc., etc. ...my....aren't I sounding like some emo kid? I've just got a dark cloud over me right now...hope it go's away soon), unless of course a miracle comes along.

I think I'll take a look at that NEC brand. I'm sure anything with the name Sony on it costs twice as much as any other brand, and doesn't necesarily mean it's THAT good just 'cause it's a Sony.

Now, does anyone know about those VHS-DVD combo units? I went to look at some today...I need one where I can copy the VHS over to DVD...but the ones I saw started at no less than $300.00. Thyen there's that whole PAL issue! Other than it being a European format, w.t.f. does it mean, and does someone make a player that will play that format in AmeriKa?

Signed....

Toetally confused by it all...!!!

nessonite said:
awww that's such a sweet thought, normie!!

awww, now your making me blush, lol.

just wish i could be more of a help. be a good excuse to vacation to New York.

LOL @ alf :D :D

Im sorry to hear about all your troubles, stormy. I wish I could help somehow. :( Things always seem to get worse before they get better.

Heres a few sites i know that sell computer equipment for good prices::

http://www.xl-pc.com/
:: XL-PC :: The leading manufacturer of high-performance computer desktop, notebook, media center.

http://www.ibuypower.com/mall/lobby.htm
iBUYPOWER: High-Performance Custom Built Gaming Computers

for the dvd vcr combo?maybe buy.com or bestbuy.com or fye stores

I heard you can only record up to like 80 minutes on one disc. That would suck for certain...I wonder if thats true of if they made longer recordable ones now?

Thanks aph...will check those out before I buy my next computer piece :D

Neegg kicks butt by the way. I ordered my drive on Wednesday and it arrived here on Friday. Granted it's only coming to me from Newark but this is the second thing Ive ordered from them and the second time the thing has arrived days before they said it would. :D

Okay HDS I think I may need some help. I dont know if you have this same burner or not but...well...you're smart about this stuff anyway.
I got the drive installed tonight. I burned a cd with it (I havent got any blank dvds yet) and was able to read a dvd-r that I was given. BUT I havent been able to play a dvd movie. It just crashes any player I try to use. Then it occured to me...do these thing even play dvd movies? I'm not sure.
Also it doesnt seem to want to work with Windows' built in drag-and-drop burner in Explorer. It says N:\ is not accessable Incorrect Function
What am I doing wrong?

It should be able to play DVDs (I use mine to do so). Did you get the latest driver for it (Look here: http://support.necsam.com/oem/downloads/)? Sometimes the driver shipped with a product is not up-to-date enough. It shouldn't be crashing your players, though.

I wouldn't know about Drag-and-Drop recording. I could never stand it myself, and always went through the included software (I believe it is Roxio in the case of this burner).

I always use the Windows burner to make cds with my other recorder. I have Nero so it's no big deal.
Anyway...I tried 3 different movies and two of them crashed immediately and one crashed after showing about 1 second of the opening production company thingies. I'll try downloading the driver. The hardware came with nothing, no cd, no software...no cables...just a drive in a bag in a box.

Damn....I dont think it HAS any drivers. I mean...I couldnt find any. I think it's just supposed to run on Windows automatically. Any ideas?

Well since I do work at Best Buy, you might as well just go there when they have some kind of decent sale with rebates and pick up a CyberHome or Dynex model for around $50 and then just use any Dynex or better name brand blank DVD disc for recording, -R for video and +R or +RW for data. Dynex is a Best Buy brand name and they are just as good as the name brands for something like blank discs, never had any problem with them. Oh yeah, and forget about the dual layer DVD burning thing, it is simply not worth your time and mostly money for it considering a 3 pack of DVD+R DL is $30 (avg 10 bucks a disc), so stick to plain old single sided discs then.

What's New

6/17/2024
Visit Door 44 Productions for ticklign clips! Details in the D44 box below.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back