• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Please settle a dispute that I had with a co-worker

GirlWhoLikes2Laugh

4th Level Orange Feather
I recently had a dispute with a co-worker over whether it's rude for a customer to talk on their cell phone while being rung up at the register. As some of you know, I work in retail and see this happening a lot. I think it's rude :mad: but when I told my co-worker that he said it was just my opinion and not a fact. Now, of course I DON'T TELL the customer that it's rude because they'll get pissed and probably tell on me. The only times when I think it's okay is if it's an emergency or it's work related.

Look forward to your responses. By the way keep in mind that the co-worker I am referring to is still in high school.

I believe that you're in the right because some stores and restaurants I've been to have made it clear that their customers are not to be talking on their cell phones when they're at the register for varying reasons. And I agree with you that the customer should only use the phone at the register for work-related or emergency situations. But maybe to be on the safe side, you should probably let your manager know what has happened and see what they think.

Of course it's an opinion and not a fact. Whether it's rude or not is ALWAYS a matter of opinion, so I don't know the point your coworker was trying to make.

Yes, I think it's rude. I also think it's their right to do it. However, it would also be the business owner's right to make a rule not to serve people on cell phones, and I have seen such signs at certain establishments.

I will always agree with you on this because I hate cell phones. I hate the way they've infiltrated our world and ruined so many beautiful moments. I have to really push to get my boyfriend to put his away and spend quality time with me. He doesn't understand that sitting next to me on the couch with his eyes lost in his phone is not "quality time." I have to talk to him before dinner dates to make sure he will keep his phone put away. He doesn't do it to be a jerk. It's just such a common thing to be on the phone all the time. Every one of my friends sits there and texts while spending time with me. It bothers me a lot, but it's the world we live in, I suppose.

Our lives are busy. Sometimes the only chance we get to chat with loved ones is when we're running that quick errand to that retail store or that resteraunt. The nature of these things: a quick resteraunt, or a retail store setup to not need human interaction to buy lends itself to this phenomenon. Don't take offense. It's far from personal.

It's definitely annoying to have to deal with a customer who you can't speak / have trouble speaking to because they are distracted by the phone, but I don't think these people really mean to be rude or realize how they're coming across. In this day and age, with technology, it's going to happen and just something you have to deal with. If they are causing the line to get longer / other customers to wait because they are too busy on the phone to finish the transaction (I've had a customer take a call in the line and tell me to wait for them when they got to the register.) In that case, I just tell them if they are not ready to be rung up, I have to take care of other customers and if they could please step aside and get my attention when they are ready. If they don't. I just get the manager.

It can be frustrating, but it's something you have to deal with when you work in retail, unfortunately. Not worth getting worked up over if you can help it.

When one goes to their job and it involves dealing with customers and customer service, there is a certain level of Kabuki theater that one should adhere to. You are there to service the customer within certain parameters set by the company, as well as your own 'work mode' set of decorum, that may, or may not, be how you act in your private life. So in the interest of all-around peace and harmony, for employee, customer, and management, it behooves one to pantomime being the most pleasant and agreeable person on the planet, even in the face of adversity. And it also pays to not get worked up about the behavior of customers. Try to ignore their idiosyncrasies by making yourself detached like a water bead on Teflon.

"It's just a job. It is not my life."

Last edited:
IMO it IS rude, but the paying customer can afford to be rude while an employee is paid to be polite and take it.

So, as C.A.B. said, don't let it aggravate you, don't take it personally, and go home after work and refrain from being as rude as they were when you're shopping.

It's opinion. It might be the majority opinion, but it's still one's own belief. There would have to be some scientific way of proving it in order for it to be fact.

How about the opposite? When customer service is on the phone or texting while they are waiting on me? It happens.

And your employer can put up signs requesting customers not to use their phones, but that doesn't mean you'll get compliance. I get folks talking on cell phones while I'm trying to talk to them about their pets all the time. Or, my personal fave, I get cell phones shoved into my hand so that I can ask the person who couldn't bring the animal to the appointment the questions that they other person doesn't know the answers for or I get to recap the appointment for the significant other/relative, etc who couldn't come with the animal. Courtesy seems to be a luxury nowadays.

It's your opinion.

A fact is something that is irrefutably true no matter your personal feelings on the matter. Two plus two is four. Horses have hooves. The sun is roughly 94 million miles away from the Earth.
An opinion is a point of view or belief that is likely to change from person to person. Cats are the best. Dogs are the best. Children are annoying. Crab is better than lobster. Pepsi is better than Coke.

My opinion? My job at a register is to politely greet customers, and then ring up their purchases, and then bag them. The customer isn't required to acknowledge the greeting, or even acknowledge my existence. Do I think it's rude? Not particularly. It's a cash register, not a wedding reception. I'm not there to make friends, simply to do my job and get paid. Do I get a kick out of customers being charming and polite back to me every now and then? Absolutely. I certainly don't get angry at them when they don't, though.

Yes I think its rude.
People can call their loved one back after the transaction that does not take long to do.

I recently had a dispute with a co-worker over whether it's rude for a customer to talk on their cell phone while being rung up at the register. As some of you know, I work in retail and see this happening a lot. I think it's rude :mad: but when I told my co-worker that he said it was just my opinion and not a fact. Now, of course I DON'T TELL the customer that it's rude because they'll get pissed and probably tell on me. The only times when I think it's okay is if it's an emergency or it's work related.

Look forward to your responses. By the way keep in mind that the co-worker I am referring to is still in high school.

IMHO I don't really think it's rude as long as their cellphone conversation doesn't delay the transaction(which would actually be rude to other customers waiting in line) but if they can multi task then I don't think it's rude at all. Now if you needed to ask the person a question and they were ignoring you because they were on the phone then yes that would be inconsiderate. But otherwise I don't see the problem. I mean we're talking about a customer, not a friend or a date.

I personally think it's rude, but I also think there is a more important reason why it shouldn't happen: for purposes of minimizing the chances of a real or imagined mistake getting made, both the cashier and the customer should be giving each other their full attention. Either one of them may want to ask the other a question, and also, the cell phone conversation can cause distraction to the cashier while the cashier needs to concentrate. That said, however, I would also add that the manager rather than the individual cashier has to set the policy, so I think it's worth consulting the manager for a policy statement.

I also think it's rude. In Texas every vehicle on the road must pass a safety inspection once a year, and I always take my car to the same place. They have a sign posted stating they will be happy to help you once your phone conversation is completed. :clap:

I think it's rude as well, but I feel its more rude to the customers behind the one on the cell phone, though getting them out of my lane was more important to me, than whether or not they were rude to me. I know that sounds weird, but it's how I felt.

My attitude actually came when a preacher from this church I had attended the previous weekend threatened to kick my ass.

:laughhard: LOlz! BrAvO!

When my car needs attention there is a small shop a few blocks from my apartment I use. They have always been fair and honest with me, and I trust them. They have a similar, posted policy. :clap:

I wouldn't consider them rude; I consider people who do that to be annoying though. I work at a gas station and I get extremely annoyed when I have to ask them something, and it takes them several hundred years to answer me because they're on their phone. I get more aggravated at customers who buy things and then I ask "is that all for you today?" and they say yes. Then as I ring them up they go and get more items, making people behind them wait even longer.

It's rude. I hate it. I don't let it bother me too much but I've had customers aggressively point at items they want then proceed to throw the money at me and walk away like I'm not even there. Yes I get paid to do my job, but I don't get paid to be treated like shit. I'm not a slave.

Personally I'd prefer to refuse service to people on phones because i generally find it to be demeaning to the individual serving them (whether intended or not) but that being said, Ive also served people on the phone who whisper a thank you or smile and wave goodbye, so I guess it really comes down to the customer's specific actions as to whether it can be considered rude or not

I especially hate those with the blue tooth plugged into their ear....they're yakking away, and you don't know who they're talking to (years ago we woulda called them crazy). But yes, they are ignoring you...give them the wrong change if they pay by cash, to see if they are paying attention. And, if your co-worker is only still in high school, well....there's your answer. To them, the phone is all-important, as society has taught them.

I especially hate those with the blue tooth plugged into their ear....they're yakking away, and you don't know who they're talking to (years ago we woulda called them crazy). But yes, they are ignoring you...give them the wrong change if they pay by cash, to see if they are paying attention. And, if your co-worker is only still in high school, well....there's your answer. To them, the phone is all-important, as society has taught them.

Yeah -- the bluetooth.. Everyone walking around looking like Lt. Uhura. Anyway, GirlWho -- yeah its rude. Unless the call is an emergency, easy enough to say "Hey, I need a minute. Can I call you back?" or "I'm walkin' here!" Sorry -- from NY originally.

I think everyone needs to stop accepting this behavior. That's the problem. Every business and individual should have the attitude that you get skipped if you're on your phone. The more people refuse to accept this crap, the less people will get away with it.

What's New

6/16/2024
There will be Trivia in our Chat Room this Sunday eve at 11PM EDT,. Join us!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** Jojo45 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back