• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Possible brain surgery

TKLVR181

Level of Lemon Feather
For those of you who don't know, I was born with spina bifida and hydrocephalus. The latter means that my cerebral spinal fluid (that stuff your brain floats in) doesn't drain properly on it's own. When I was born, I had to have a pump and tube, called a shunt, placed in my brain and down to my stomach to drain it properly.

I've also been having pretty constant, if inconsistent pain-degree wise, headaches for the last week and a half.

So, I went to see my neurosurgeon today. Told him my symptoms, and he was immediately concerned. Right away I was given an X-ray and a ct scan and went back into the room to see him.

He came in and said that the x-ray looked fine, then said he wanted me to have a shuntogram-I recognized the name and clarified that it's where they put dye into my shunt tube and watch the flow via something like a cat scan/MRI. I asked if he suspected it the cerebral spinal fluid was flowing too slowly down the tube, causing pressure changes and pain.

He said no, he thought it was flowing too fast instead. He then showed us (Senshi, granma and I) my ct scan, and next to it a ct scan I had in 2011. My left ventricle is tiny compared to what it was! For those of you who don't know, I think the ventricle is a hole in that cerebral spinal fluid is supposed to go through.

This very seriously corroborates my doctor's theory about my shunt running too fast. And if that's true, I'm going to have to have it replaced.

Brain surgery.

I've had it thrice before-when I was born, when I was seven, and when I was 25. This is definitely a...shortened time span since I had it last, but it's a problem I've never had before.

My shuntogram is scheduled, at the moment, for the first week in November, but they're going to call me tomorrow and confirm. I'll let you all know if the date holds. I don't really know what else to say guys, except that this is just kind of a natural part of my life. I've had it several other times, and while I'm scared (and honestly a bit in shock tonight), I'm not terrified. I've done this before, I'll do it again.

I love you guys! I'll keep you updated!

Last edited:
Jeeze, that's rough. I genuinely wish you the best with all of the required procedures and I doubt I'm the only one who hopes to see you making a full, quick recovery from it all soon.

Awww...Impy...know that we all love you and hope the best for you and the Senshter. My sis and sis-in-law (aka Rox) send their best. Stay strong hun.

Update-the shuntogram is scheduled for Wednesday at 730 am-but it's several hours to the hospital the test is in, so granma, Senshi and I will be leaving tomorrow afternoon and sleeping in a hotel a few minutes from the hospital. After the test on Wednesday I'm not sure what will happen. Most likely is that they'll schedule the surgery for a few days from Wednesday-Monday at the latest hopefully-but it could possibly be as early as Thursday, and I might not be back to update people for a while.

I'll try to keep a few people at least updated so that they can leave a message here for me, etc, but right now it's kind of all up in the air. I'll update everyone when I can! Thanks for your support and love guys, I appreciate it so much <3

~K

I will be praying for you big sister. Buggy (Nichola), and Catwoman (Tiffany) will be all praying for you and your safe recovering after the surgery. Keep us informed big sis

Best wishes and love from me, my gf, my sis, and my sis-in-law Rox.

Next Update: I had my shuntogram earlier today (and am back home with senshi and granma). They injected dye into the pump and watched to see how long it took to go through the tube-it took about half as long as they expected it to. I was supposed to have two twenty-minute sessions under the scanner-after the first all the dye was through and there was no point in a second.

So, that confirms that it's running too fast. A neurosurgeon has to check out the scan result, probably sometime today, and I'm expecting the PA (who administered the test, inejcted the dye, etc) to call me tomorrow with info about what comes next. Most likely surgery.

So I will keep you guys updated, thank you all SO much for your love and support <3 It means so much to me!

~K

Yes, good thoughts your way...
Please keep us all posted!

We're all rootin for ya both Impy and Senshster.

Keep us updated on the situation kay?

Update: I got off the phone a few minutes ago with my neurosurgeon's nurse. Yes, my shunt is draining too fast, but they see no signs of medical danger from it. I'm still going to opt for the surgery, because I'm still having headaches and some mild dizzy spells-though these seem to be getting better, I would guess because my body is getting used to the new pace (the human body is a remarkable thing that way).

But this is an opt-in procedure rather than a life-saving one. The way I would explain it is that my mechanic (surgeon) is taking a look at my car (body) and rather than saying "Yes, your engine is about to explode, I need to fix this now", he's saying "Yeah I hear the noise you're hearing and I can replace this part if you want, but it's not putting the rest of your car at risk, it's just noisy". Edit: "Also I have fifty cars about to explode, so you'll have to wait"

I know that 'noisy' doesn't really compare to frequent headaches and dizzy spells, but to a neurosurgeon it does. Oh well.

The bad-but-good part is that, because it isn't emergent, they aren't going to pencil me in for the surgery until JANUARY. I'm in less pain this week, so I'll be able to put it out of my mind until then fairly well, but bloody hell is waiting that long a pain in the neck! >_<

SO this will probably be my last update in this thread for a while. If anything changes, I'll let you guys know-but I'm stable for now, I know what's going on, and it's not as scary as I was afraid it is. This is not the first time I've dealt with shunt issues, but it IS the first time it hasn't been an emergency. So this waiting malarky is new to me, but at least it's not life-or-death (knock on wood). Thanks you guys for coming on this friggin roller coaster with me. Hopefully now I'm on a stretch of straight instead all all the damn loop-the-loops I've been on. Love you guys!

~K

Last edited:
Thank you for the update, K. I'm glad to hear that the situation isn't an emergency but sorry that you'll have to endure a long wait.

All the best,

What's New

6/17/2024
Visit Door 44 Productions for ticklign clips! Details in the D44 box below.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back