• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Potentially important NL East Series begins tonight at Shea

Mitchell

Level of Coral Feather
Yes, I know it's only April, but tonight at Shea Stadium in New York, is the beginning of a potentially important series between the New York Mets and the Atlanta Braves.
As most who follow baseball are aware, the Mets are off to a very hot start, at 9-2, while Atlanta is struggling at 6-7, with many injured players. Tonight ace Pedro Martinez will take the ball for the Mets, while on Wednesday afternoon, there will be what should be a great pitching matchup in the final game of the series, Tim Hudson for Atlanta, and Tom Glavine for New York.
Although it is only April, and Atlanta really needs to take two of three to inch closer to the Mets, two out of three by either side will not be backbreaking. A Mets sweep would put Atlanta seven games out after only sixteen games, and while nothing at this early stage means the end, psychologically, it would seem hard for the Braves to recover from that kind of deficit.
The teams play each other, through a fluke of a strange schedule this year, nine times between tonight, and May 7, with six played at Shea, and three in Atlanta. After that, they have only one three game series, in Atlanta, for the four months after that, in July, before meeting six more times in Sept. This should be a very interesting series, and I will certainly be watching it. It could well be that the Mets have a great opportunity here, catching the Braves when the Mets are hot, the Braves are not, and several of Atlanta's key players, such as Chipper Jones, are on the Disabled List.
So, bring it on! I am looking forward to the next few weeks, with the old arch rivals, the Mets and Braves, doing battle.

Mitch

I agree Mitchell. This Braves/Mets series tonight will give the winner a psychological edge despite it being so early in the season. The Braves have been kings of the NL East for well over 10 years...is their reign coming to an end? :confused:

Well, the Mets drew first blood tonight, winning 4-3 behind Pedro Martinez. Braves starting pitcher Jorge Sosa was awful, but the bullpen pitched okay. As I look at this series, the only way the Braves can have real damage done to them, is if the Mets sweep, and the Braves fall 7 games out by Wednesday afternoon. To have that big of a deficit, so early in the season, while they have rebounded from such deficits before during the 14 year reign, I think is a huge psychological issue. Even if the Braves lose two of three, a five game deficit, while big, isnt seven. Atlanta must win one of these three games, or, while it is still very early, that might well be the beginning of the end of their reign, even though it is only April.

Mitch

Hey, it's a long season. I am happy the Mets drew first blood but it's only one game. I am happy from what I have seen so far but as a life long Mets fan, you kind of expect the worst. I will be convinced they are for real if they are in first place come Sept. I have to admit, this is the besst team I have seen in a long time. Good luck. I am not too optomistic with Zambrano pitching against Hudson tomorrow, but I think Glavine will do well on Wed. He has been the best pitcher in baseball since last years all star break.

I wouldn't blow the series out of proportion but it's a good gauge to see where the Mets really stand in their division.

Giant, as I heard the matchups, Zambrano is pitching against Kyle Davies tomorrow, and it's Glavine- Hudson on Wednesday. Wednesday, if that is indeed the matchup, should be a good game if both pitchers are on. If tomorrow night's matchup is as announced, I like the Mets, because Davies isnt pitching well. All I ask for this series for the Braves is no sweep. If the Mets even win two of three, five games is a deficit from which Atlanta can rally if everyone gets healthy. Seven games, only two weeks into the season, if the Mets sweep, would be psychologically damaging to Atlanta.

Mitch

Well, last night goes to show that in baseball, you just never know. Davies was great, and Zambrano got hammered. Now, I feel relieved, because at least no matter what happens today, Atlanta cant do any worse than be five out if they lose, or three, if they hopefully win.
The big hope for me now is that the game is shown on TV. It is scheduled for TBS at 1pm. In the past, some games, for some unexplained reason, have been blacked out on Turner, because Comcast cable, my cable company, didnt "buy the game". You would hope they have it available for the fans to see Glavine pitch. Usually at night, if it is not on, I have a handy little radio that gets WFAN, the Mets station in NY, which comes in clearly. At 1pm, the Fan will not come in. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it is on TV, and not blacked out.

Mitch

It's only one game, and it is so early, but I was, of course, pleased with The Braves win last night. Today's game starts in about five minutes. I am hopeful The Braves can beat Glavine today.

Mitch

Mitchell said:
It's only one game, and it is so early, but I was, of course, pleased with The Braves win last night. Today's game starts in about five minutes. I am hopeful The Braves can beat Glavine today.

Mitch

don't worry, they will hammer Glavine. His record against his former team isn't good, and he has given up a bucketfull of runs against them. Don't worry, 2 out of 3 is secure

Well, natural, you were right, but they didnt hammer Glavine. Both Glavine and Hudson were great, and the three Mets errors helped. Along with the Andruw Jones homer, it was enough for a 2-1 Braves win. Two out of three isnt bad, and now we are 3 games behind in the NL East. Their next series is next weekend in Atlanta. I am happy with the two out of three.

Mitch

natural tickler said:
don't worry, they will hammer Glavine. His record against his former team isn't good, and he has given up a bucketfull of runs against them. Don't worry, 2 out of 3 is secure
The only thing you know about baseball is that you root on a LOSER!!! :ignite:

ticklingfeet4fu said:
The only thing you know about baseball is that you root on a LOSER!!! :ignite:

This response is not even worht my time in responding, so I will not give you the satisfaction of doing so.

What's New

6/15/2024
If you need to report a post the report button is on its lower left.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** Jojo45 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back