• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Protecting your computer privacy

LonelyKimiko

3rd Level Indigo Feather
Hiya.
Several people have been asking recently how to clear their Web history and other such things. This is my quick guide to help you avoid getting caught out :) .

Web History

Internet Explorer
In internet Explorer, select TOOLS -> INTERNET OPTIONS. On the bottom of the window that appears you will see a button that reads "Clear History". clicking this, followed by yes, will erase your entire web history, as well as the links in the Address bar at the top of sites you have already visited.

Mozilla firefox
In mozilla firefox, select TOOLS -> OPTIONS. On the window that appears, select the tab that reads "Privacy", denoted by a padlock. Underneath this you will see a set of tabs appear. The first of these tabs is labelled "History". on this tab, you will see a button at the bottom saying "Clear browsing history now". Clicking this will erase your web history.

AOL 9.x
Click Settings on the AOL toolbar. Then select Index on the Settings page and click “Internet [Web] Options” under “I” in the alphabetized list. Click the General tab at the top of the Internet Properties dialog box if it is not already selected. In the Temporary Internet files section, click the Delete Files button.
A dialog box will appear that says, “Delete all files in the Temporary Internet files.” Click the OK button. In the History section, click the Clear History button. A dialog box will appear that asks, “Are you sure you want Windows to delete your history of visited Web sites?” Click Yes. Click OK to leave the AOL Internet Properties dialog box. Close the Settings window. Exit and restart America Online.

Google Search Bar

Mozilla Firefox
If you click twice on the google search bar, a list of previously entered searches should appear. To get rid of these, hold your mouse over them, hold the shift key and press delete.

Recent documents

Microsoft Windows XP
To erase the recent documents that appear under the "Documents" tab on the start menu, follow these steps. First of all, right click on the taskbar (The blue bar at the bottom of the screen, which the Start button is attatched to). Select "properties" from the drop down list. There are 2 tab selectors at the top of the window, "Taskbar" and "Start menu". Sel;;ect the "Start menu" tab.
On this window, you should see a button that reads "Customize". Click on this to bring up a new window. On this window are the buttons "add", "remove", "advanced", "sort" and "clear". Clicking the "clear" button will erase the links to the documents in the recent documents folder.
This is very handy after looking at videos or pictures to make sure someone doesnt stumble across them.

Media player history

Windows Media Player
To clear the list of recently veiwed files in windows media player, that appears at the bottom of the FILE menu, use the following steps.
Select TOOLS -> OPTIONS. In the menu that appears, select the tab at the top that says "Privacy". At the bottom of the window that appears is a button that says "Clear history". This will erase the list.

Real player
To clear the list of recently veiwed files in real player, use the following steps.
Select TOOLS -> PREFERENCES. In the window that appears, select the "General" tab from the list on the left hand side, if it is not already selected by default. At the bottom of the window that appears, there is a button marked "Clear history".

Change the default Download directory

Mozilla Firefox
Sometimes, when other people on your computer attempt to download something, the folder where you store all of your "goodies" might appear. To resolve this, you can change the default download directory in Firefox.
Select TOOLS -> OPTIONS. On the window that appears, choose the "Downloads" tab at the top of the window. There is the option to ask you where to save every file, or to specify a default download directory. The field underneath the second option will allow you to choose the directory you would like to save to by clicking on the "browse" button.

Miscelanious tips

Locking your computer
To lock your computer whilst you leave the room in Windows XP, press the windows button and the "L" key simultaniously.

Hope this helps you! Let me know if you have any questions I can help with :) .

Last edited:
Thanks for the XP explanation I would have never figured that one out on my own. I wonder why they make it so cumbersome?

Meh, I have no idea to be honest. It is a bit of an annoyance though aint it! Hey, let me know anyone if you want to know any other OS's, or any other ways to keep what you do secretive. :) .

i thank you LK for taking the time to help the TTC members out by explaining how they can clear out their history. I have used the instructions and cleared out my history a few times already.

Thanks LK, you wouldn't believe how many times my friends have been on my computer. As soon as they put "http://w" it comes up with this site. Lol..

what about if you want to save a file from the internet, in XP, it always go back to where you last saved a file. for example, my family was over my place last week, and wanted to save some recipe as a picture from the internet. when chosen as save as, it reverted to the folder where i last saved a file, an SS tickling pic, which they almost noticed as they were looking over my shoulder, but i was quick, and closed the window before they noticed all the tickling pics. how do i stop this?

I use a program put out by WEBROOT called Windows Washer. It works real well. It erases everything you looked at on the web from all areas that would store it. It wont erase files youve downloaded but I just download mine to one folder then transfer to a flash drive when done or download strait to a flash or external USB hard drive. You can set the program up to wash after closing your browser or when you shutdown your computer.

Not sure about that Norm, I'll look it up and see if I can find out anything.

Norm, I always save new files to a folder called "New Folder," then move them to the correct folders after I have made my daily backup. I suggest that you do something similar.

MistressValerie said:
Norm, I always save new files to a folder called "New Folder," then move them to the correct folders after I have made my daily backup. I suggest that you do something similar.

that's a good idea. thanks!

Norm. In tools you'll be able to select where you want your files saving to. This should be true for both IE and firefox. If you are using the latter (which I strongly suggest) go to tools, select options, then the download tab. The first option you come to is "download folder" where you can browse for your desired download destination. Takes 10 seconds and stops your loved ones seeing that which you'd rather they did not.

Arkham

Thanks Arkham. I will put add this one too the main post if thats ok :) .

MistressVal, I think it may be an idea to change the name of this thread, though I'm not sure what to. But it is becoming a little more wide encompassing than just deleting web history now.

I don't know to be honest. I want to change it to something a little more open ended so more people will use it, but I've got no ideas at the minute.

If you should think of something, shoot me a PM and I'll make the change before the day is out. :)

It might work :) . I mainly want people to see it and use it, cause I just think people arent noticing it at the minute.

Strange how I never noticed this before. =P

I know it's a bit late but I do want to thank and congratulate you on making this thread, Kimi. I do know most of the basics in deleting web history (Like clearing your browser, deleting history of the google search engine, etc) but there were a couple that I didn't know of. So thanks. =D

One of the advantages with my computer is that I set up different user accounts on my computer for each person in my family (We have to share a computer now as my current one has recently died) and set a direct password for my account so that others can't see the stuff on my account and therefore, I don't have to worry about this problem as much, but it doesn't hurt to be safe. ^^

A tip some people may not know of: if you have to temporarily leave the computer, you can lock Windows by pressing the Windows key + L. Your password would be needed to sign back into your account. Your downloads and other processes would continue to run while you were away.

This Internet Tools-> Clear History has always worked before for me (IE on Win XP) but now it won't.
It clears everything but a few main links. When I hit Open and type "www.t" it still pops up with "www.tickletheater.com".
If I put www.g, it suggests Google; www.y suggests yahoo, and www.m suggests myspace. Has tickletheater become such a staple of my online experience that it's burned into my computer's memory even after clearing my history?
Control-H shows there is nothing whatsoever in my History. I've seen this before, where there were a couple URLs that weren't cleared this way. Never figured it out. I don't have TT bookmarked either.

I've found a possible fix for you. In IE, go to Tools -> Internet options. Open the "content tab". About halfway down the window is a button that ways "autocomplete". In the window this brings up, there is the option to turn off autocomplete for web addresses. Hope this helps :D .

Yeah, I found that too. It does work, thanks!
I still want to know why I can't clear the addresses though. :mad:

What's New

6/17/2024
Visit Door 44 Productions for ticklign clips! Details in the D44 box below.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back