• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Science vs. Religion: The final showdown

Lynchy

TMF Expert
Okay, I got this link from Rotten.com, a site I visit often mainly because I admire its honesty in the face of arrogant media. I got the Britney link from there too.

This report has just really disturbed me: http://abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s501687.htm

Just for a glimse into it's content for passers by, the report is about a scientist who believes she has found the final resting place of none other that Jesus Christ. Not only that, she wants the body exhumed for study. If it turned out that this wasteh body of JC, then not only would it dissprove his assention into Heaven, but if they could determine a cause of death it could rule out the resurrection story all together.

I'm not the least bit religious, but even I can see that this is just plain wrong. How can dissproving a well established faith do anyone any good??? Of course, I highly doubt this will ever be aloud, as is pointed out at the end of the report. But to think people even considered it... :sowrong: What is the world coming to???

Not to worry Lynchy,,even if they could PROVE whose body it was AND determine the cause of death, that would prove nothing as the body of Christ did not need to ascend into Heaven..just his spirit. The ever faithful will still have faith...those who dont will try to find ways to prove the faithful wrong...this will never change.

This gets me thinking about some characters in a comic book I'm making with my brother. One character will eventually be revealed to be the 3000+ year-old Egyptian sorcerer Hermes Trismegistos, and he will ask another regular character, Catholic Exorcist Father Carlos Montez a similar question -

Hermes: "I was in Judea at the time, I met Jesus. I'm surprised you've never expressed any curiosity about whether the stories are true."
Montez: "Would it matter? If I asked you if Jesus really was the Son of God and if His miracles really happened, and you say yes, then my faith hasn't changed. I'd continue to believe as I always have. If you say no, He was a charlatan, or the Bible exaggerated His actions, what then? Does that invalidate my life? Are the principles of compassion and generosity that Jesus taught suddenly less true because the man who outlined them was just a man? My faith isn't just about stories of miracles from two thousand years ago; it's about the way I live my life today, the way I treat people, the decisions I make and my responsibility to help people. Jesus used parables al the time to illustrate His message. The Good Samaritan never needed to be a living person to teach that compassion overcomes prejudice; is the message of Jesus false if He was just a parable Himself? Again, I'd still practice His teachings even if you told me He was only mortal. So, if my commitment to doing Good is just as strong no matter the answer, then what can be gained from asking the question?"

Think I have to agree with venray on this one. Jesus's spirit ascended to heaven, he did not pull a David Copperfield and do a disappearing act.

For me faith is faith and science is science and I try never to mix the two. Dangerous combination I think.

There is NO absolute proof that ANY religion is true let alone Christianity.
There are constant contradictions and loop holes even in the Bible.
They cannot even decide on Testaments! The is the OLD Testament then it was decided, "hmm well, maybe this is not quite right, lets try a "NEW Testament"....100 years from now, it will or could be the "NEWER Testament".
Actually, the last words in ANY book on Religion, especially the Bible should be......."Everything in this book COULD be wrong".

People will believe what they want, regardless of any evidence or lack thereof.

EVERY single book on Religion and theory of was written by those who were making a deduction on what they thought they were seeing and or reading.
Since there is NOBODY here today who was there when this molten rock of a planet we call earth...all there is, is ones' own judgement and perception.
Nobody even knows what TIME it really is or what day or year it really is!
IF the earth is over 5 BILLION years old, how the hell can it be 2002!
Not to mention this crock of S**T, "Daylight Savings". We cannot even get our clocks straight!

Even IF they dig up this so called Jesus Christ, it will proove absolutely NOTHING other than he was HUMAN just like the rest of us!

TTD

ScotTickle said:
Don't mince words, TTD. Tell us what you really think!

;)

(Just teasin', because I do get where you're coming from.)

Perhaps I should not have taken the Subtle approach?!;) :D

TTD:rolleyes: :firedevil :scared: :angel:

This topic is the exact plot from the Antonio Banderas film "The Body". I wonder if the lead investigator in this case saw the film?

You know what I've always wondered? Why cannot science and religion exist peacfully together? One does not negate the other. I am deeply close to my God, but I understand that He created the laws of the Universe...we strive to learn how they work. That's it. There is science involved in many aspects of religion, as there are times in science when a leap of faith is required.

When the scientist Gallileo found that the Earth rotated around the Sun, he didn't disprove God. He proved the sheer scope of God's creation. The science was always there, he just found it. Who put it there? That's where you need the leap of Faith, ain't it?

Just a little obfuscation from your friendly neighborhood Jedi.:D

Religion cannot coexist with ITSELF let alone with science!

In the begining, there was supposed to be only ONE true religion. Now there are a thousand or even thousands!

Religion does not mix with anything including itself!
NOBODY knows the truth. The truth IS out there but too far for many of us to see or admit to seeing.

TTD

:firedevil :scared: :angel:

The problem usually doesn't exist with religion as much as humans trying to make things fit their own purposes.Science and religion are not always in agreement,nor is either one always right.Religion is a system of values brought about and applied by FAITH.
Scientists have tried to tell us that their studies are right.Until,of course,they fall short somewhere and then it's "well,you just have to believe us."Both offer answers for things that occur in life,and neither is always right or wrong.The human element has much to do with the strife included in these types of discussion.
The year is 2002 because a while back the modern calendar was started with the birth of Christ.Many may not like it,but that has been the way we have recorded time ever since.It HAS worked for however many years.
Daylight savings time was instituted during the energy crisis in the 70's.While it does save an hour or two of light,the farmer's cattle don't care.They want milked at the same general time,and they can't tell time.Hell,they don't even have wrists for watches.
And TTD is dead on about digging up Christ's grave.He walked the earth as a human,and that is all that scientist will ever discover.
Now how she will determine whose DNA the corpse has without any living descendents would require a leap of faith to accept.

I'd like to know...

What does this woman hope to prove? And more importantly...HOW??? She claims that she wants to date the body and find it's heritage. Fine. Let's say, for the sake of arguement, that the body DID come from that time and area. What does that prove? Nothing! There were many thousands of Jews crucified in that time period. It could be anyone.

I'm for letting the dead rest in peace. No, I don't think that distrubing a grave would disturb the spirit which is no longer there. But, have a bit of respect lady!

BTW, Ven...Christianity DOES teach (based on Scriptural accounts) that Jeus' body rose, not just his spirit. :)

Ann

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation is possible."

For those who believe....

Ann,you nailed that one.

shark said:
Scientists have tried to tell us that their studies are right.Until,of course,they fall short somewhere and then it's "well,you just have to believe us."

No, science says, "I'm right, unless you can prove me wrong."

Then religion says, "I'm right, and if you disagree with me, your wrong." And a lot of times, violence follows.

guitman

Seeing how things have developed throughout history,I can go along with that.

Religion is a Science based on Faith.
Science is a Religion based on theory.
Together they make a Reliance.

:p

:D ;)

TTD

What's New

5/4/2024
The Final vote for the 2023 Golden Feather Awards is open! Visit the GFA fouem and cast your ballot!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** LadyInternet ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back