• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

The Sketching Basics

BigNorm

3rd Level Violet Feather
at this moment, i draw like a kindergarten student. so, basically i suck at it, but want to get much better. what are some basic tips for someone who knows nothing?

what i do so far is, get a sheet of normal printing paper and a #2 pencil, and just start drawing, erasing parts dozens and dozens of times till they're ok. is there an easier way, or what?

Do you have a concept, or know what you want to draw before you draw it or are you just doodling in the hopes something will come to you?

Sometimes the later will work, but this is why its frustrating, especially for beginners. Its important to have a firm understanding, idea, and image of what you want before you go and to achieve it.

If you answer yes to the former, then all I can really say is use reference material thats close to what you want, study basic shapes, and practice practice practice. Unless you're naturally gifted, artistic talent is not something to be aqquired quickly, nor is there an "easy way" to learn. And if there is such a way, I question if its entirely helpful, not half-assed and not a quick fix that may help initially but doesn't inroot a firm understanding of the basics into the artist.

There are no real "tricks" or "short cuts" to becoming a good artist. There are good tips however. I suggest reading some basic art books. Many are helpful.

I hope this works out for you.

ok, but what do you mean by former and later?

Celtic Emperor probably meant former and latter....basically first and last.

But he is correct....best to work out a basic shape then to try and start noodling in details right away. You want to draw the forest...then the trees. I 've found a pad of tracing paper helps too. Work out your basic outline sketch then build a tighter sketch on top of that one using the tracing paper. Also helps to draw 'through' the object to the other side. That helps you visualize it as a 3-D form not just a flat 2-D one.

Here's a little visual aid I've posted before. Hope it helps. By the way I love your Lord of the Rings sig. The Mordor the merrier. :D

BasicShapes.jpg

Yes, I meant latter as in the second possibility (not having a solid idea or image) and I meant former as in the first possibility (havine a solid image).

Its just a basic expression people use. "Former and the latter". Its often used to discribe two instances of something.

To add to Fairfeather's sound and good advice, I have to caution you about anime in particular. DO NOT rely on it as your sole source of reference, even if thats the type of style you see yourself getting into later. The reason for this is anime characters are sometimes anotomically exagerated and lack essential fundamentals that one should know in drawing faces, bodies, etc. They are not always realistic and the method to drawing them is watered down, simplified and made too easy, to a point where (in my opinion) it teaches the artist incomplete values and leaves them with holes to fill which the anime methods did not teach them.

A nose is usually just a slant or a small line with a shadow next to it, for example. A person learning to draw may like the concept and find it easy and because its their first style or its the genre they're basing their artistic education on, they use manga style artwork as a crutch. They learn to draw noses that way, and then they have unnecessary trouble later trying to break the habit and drawing realistic noses.

As a beginner, you would be much better off in the long run if you started out with non-anime styles in order to access a much broader perspective of art, and then, when you're ready to make your own personalized style with anime, you'll be better prepared and won't fall into the pitfalls.

To make a long story short, manga style is an easy way out alot of the time. It is not as demanding nor does it encourage an artist to tap their full potential. It teaches them little more than complacency. Its really easy for an artist to use anime as their style, and they end up just copying something that looks redundant already.

The reason you see many artists out there who draw anime like characters that look cool and differnet from the mundane and generic ones is because those are the people who took the time to learn other things and didn't just jump into anime expecting that it would teach them everything they need to know.

Anime is very appealing, especially in this day and age, but if used as a crutch, it can create an artist who can only draw so many things. And that would be like tripping yourself.

Obviously, I am myself draw anime as you know, and I speak from experience that I could have done myself a bigger favor if I would have included more traditional art styles in my art earlier on, rather than later. While it hasn't slowed me down or proven a difficulty or hurt my art overall, if I would have taken more time to draw other things I will have mastered them by now. Its easy to fall into a loop. Do yourself a favor and don't.

oh, ya, i know, once i get down normal people down pat, then i work on anime, cause anime is for the big boys.

i got reference materials and the willpower, now i just need more freetime and time.

be nice if there was a step by step diagram of sketching.

Be careful with that link he gave you Norm. No doubt its helpful, but its a perfect example of what I just said. Its not a good way to learn how to draw anything but anime and its easy to fall into something like that because manga is easy and makes a perfect crutch. Get a basic understanding of realistic things first, more broader, general things, and then move on to anime tutorials if thats what you want. This way you'll have more options before you settle into something and create a style or learn how to draw a specific way. You'll also be able to transfer over aspects of other styles into your anime work and create something truely unique. :) All that tutorial and others like it will teach you is how to draw generic characters. Without any talent to put into these types of styles you'll just be doing what alot of artists do-- the same thing.

Last edited:
Practice a lot and have a lot of patience, although I shouldn't speak about the latter, since I have little patience myself. Maybe if I start playing more RPGs! ;)

I find the easiest thing to do, especially went drawing known characters or non-original characters, is to have a picture of the character in front of you. Maybe even more than one. The first thing I do when drawing something is google image search it and save a couple of good pics to a temp file.

Also, realize that you're a human being and like all human beings, you're not perfect. I freely admit that I have issues with proportion, as has been pointed out on this forum from time to time. As long as you're happy with it, it's fine. If you think something's wrong, that's what erasers are for.

In short, as Homer Simpson once said, "Pull up your diaper, get out there and be the best damn Barney you can be."

Hope this helps. ;)

Snail Shell

What's New

5/29/2024
Visit Clips4Sale for the webs largest clip fetish store!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back