• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Beauty Secrets--By and For The TMF Ladies!

Mistress Aura

Verified
(Thanks for the push, Annie. Taking your advice. ;) )

I'm creating this thread for us, ladies. Please share your secrets with us; your experiences, what works and what doesn't work for you--like skin and hair products, cosmetic procedures you've had done and are willing to discuss, favorite makeup brands, at-home spa treatments and recipes to make things on the cheap, weight loss products that have worked for you, sunless tanning products that don't turn you orange...anything that makes us the beauties we all are, please share your wealth! Share your thoughts on the things that didn't work for you, too--you might help another member avoid disappointment, disaster and save her time and money in the process. Know of a product recall? Let us know.

Ask questions, too! Wanting to try something but not sure about it? Like the way another TMF lady does her makeup and want to know how it's applied? Give a shout-out, someone will probably have your answer.

Ground rule: We can't argue about stuff. For example, if I like Smashbox cosmetics and you like Mac, then that's that and that's fine. Nobody is inferior with their choices, this thread is simply to share knowledge and experiences.

Now, we know the gentlemen are likely going to stumble in here from time to time. Please be patient with them if they decide to chime in about something--you never know, it might be helpful in one way or another. Or they might just be curious on how we do it; after all, we are mysterious creatures. ;) But fellas--if you only want to get all snarky about what you may see here, I'm asking you--please don't. Yah, it's Girl-Stuff, but if you like girls, then shhhh...let us be girls. ;) LOL

I'll start it out myself here:

I've recently had a 25% TCA medium-depth chemical peel in order to combat what to me looked like freeking crater-sized pores (yeah, they prolly weren't that bad, but still...LOL), minimize fine wrinkles and even up my skin tone. I'll be honest with you, it definitely was an uncomfortable process and you need about a week "down time" with it, ideally. But I also have to say that when all was said and done, the results I got were pretty impressive. Hardest part was not touching it when it actually started to peel--gotta leave it alone or you can create scarring, so if you're a chronic "picker", stay away from this procedure unless you're willing to spend a week wearing mittens! ;) The new skin underneath has to be protected from the sun or hyper-pigmentation can develop as well, but a strong sunscreen will protect you. (I use a Neutrogena 45 SPF for short trips and a 70 SPF if I'm going to be out there longer than a few minutes.)

And a kickass recipe for an exfoliating scrub: You've already got it in your kitchen, I'll bet. Get a plastic container, put about 3 tablespoons of sugar in it and add just enough oil--can be regular vegetable, but I recommend olive oil--to make it a little slushy. Rub it on gently, circular motions to stimulate circulation, for a few minutes, then rinse it off. It works for sensitive skin and made in larger amounts can be used anywhere on the body--knees, elbows, anywhere you need to smooth the skin.

Okay, don't leave me hanging here! Who's next?? :D

I kept meaning to post here to find out what brand of mineral foundation you guys use. I'm currently using the Physician's Formula, and I give it a 7 on a scale of 1-10. I used Avon, and was not impressed at all. The best I've tried is Arbonne, but unfortunately their lightest shade is too dark for me, even in the summer. If they had a shade for me, it would definitely be worth the $30.

Other than that, with makeup I am a die-hard Clinique fan. I know it's pricey, but not so bad if you buy stuff during the bonus weeks at your local department store.

I really try to buy products that don't test on animals. I've been using St. Ives SPF face wash in the mornings (it's like SPF15 and stays on your face even after you rinse), and then at night when I shower I use this Avon face cleanser, followed by Sea Breeze pore astringent about every other night.

Lately for my hair I've been using Clairol Herbal Essences coconut milk shampoo & conditioner, and Loreal Vive high-gloss shampoo and conditioner. Both of those companies test on animals - so far I've been unsuccessful at finding something that works for my hair that isn't outrageously expensive and is cruelty free.

www.caringconsumer.com is a great resource for those of you who are concerned with it. :)

Great thread, Mistress Aura!

Okay..I have a few, but here's one for now..

Shaving Cream sucks balls.

I dun care if it says it's loaded with Aloe suckmyass Vera.

It'll dry your legs out considerably and make it a pain to shave again.

(Amongst other lady places. Mmhmm.)

Sooo..

Use conditioner.

Yes, the shit you use in your hair after you shampoo.

Conditioner.

Legs, Pits, Va-jay-jay.

Makes them smooth as a BITCH. Sometimes I don't even have to bother with lotion afterwards.

Okay..I have a few, but here's one for now..

Shaving Cream sucks balls.

I dun care if it says it's loaded with Aloe suckmyass Vera.

It'll dry your legs out considerably and make it a pain to shave again.

(Amongst other lady places. Mmhmm.)

Sooo..

Use conditioner.

Yes, the shit you use in your hair after you shampoo.

Conditioner.

Legs, Pits, Va-jay-jay.

Makes them smooth as a BITCH. Sometimes I don't even have to bother with lotion afterwards.

OMG So true! I'm addicted to the Schick Intuition, but I'd have to say conditioner is 2nd best.

Brighteyes-- Jane Iredale has some excellent mineral-based foundations, both liquid and powder, but it, too, is a bit on the pricey side. Since the chemical peel, I haven't really had to use a liquid foundation and I've got very fair skin as well. Moisturizer and the Iredale powdered foundation applied with a kabuki-style brush is great and a little goes a long way.

Crystal-- Agreed!! Shaving cream, even if it's designed for women, dries the hell out of your skin. But...OMG, I'm taking the plunge tomorrow and going to a salon for body waxing. :eek: :shake: Legs, underarms...and considering a Brazilian. Oh, shit, where's the masochist side of me when I need it??? :jester:

I'm creating this thread for us, ladies. Please share your secrets with us; your experiences, what works and what doesn't work for you
Is it ok for us guys to at least take notes on the advice? You know … *ahem* ... so we can pass it along to our SO and such. :ermm:

heh.

Dope. :D

Okay.. this one I've been doing after lotsa experimentation.

I never wear one scent. I wear four mixed.

It makes for a kickass unique smell and if you're doin' it right; ya won't kill anyone.

If you're goin' for the flowery shit? Mix one fruit smell.

If you're goin' for spices? Mix one fruit OR one flowery.

Counterbalance everything.

Man alert!

Is it ok for us guys to at least take notes on the advice? You know … *ahem* ... so we can pass it along to our SO and such. :ermm:

(All "Testicular Terrorists" can stand down--I got this one. :D LOL)

Absolutely, Tony. As this thread grows, you'll be amazed at the goldmine available here. Ladies know lots when it comes to taking care of ourselves, pass it on to whomever can use it! ;)

Steam. I've been using steam on my face for ages, because of sinus problems, but I've found it's great for my skin as well. Relaxes my facial muscles as well as cleaning my pores.

I never wear make-up, if I'm going somewhere special, I find the best thing is to have a workout or, better, a long walk outside a couple of hours before the event, and steam my face for 20mins. Leaves me glowing for hours.

I use the same sugar scrub recipe as you, Mistress Aura, and I love it. Learned it from my granny, who used brown sugar with olive or mustard oil.

Drinking lots of water as well, and sleep if you can get it. And if you can get it, I envy you.

Not sure if this counts as a beauty secret exactly, but I always try to sneak into the ladies room for a stealth wank before stressful meetings. It calms my nerves and gives me a cool, serene appearance.

When I buy cosmetics, it's always cruelty-free. I've found that Lush is great for this, and their stuff smells like nothing else on earth. I usually use Tramp or Karma or Figs&leaves. The smell lasts all day in a less oppressive way that perfume. They have a brilliant exfoliator called Buffy the Backside Slayer, and a really good facial scrub called Angels on Bare Skin.

I moisturise all the time, I have a horror of dry skin. I usually cover myself in baby oil after I have a shower then rub dry. (I'm having a stand-off with a vicious queen about whether the baby oil should be used before or after soap; he claims that it's absorbed into the skin just as well.) I use body butter from the Body Shop afterwards or Karma lotion from Lush. I keep Hemp hand lotion from the Body Shop in my bag and just a generic kind of lip moisturiser.

Speaking of vicious queens, shouldn't this thread be by and for the guys as well? I bet they have some secrets they'd like to share. Like, how does one avoid a rash after back, sack & crack? (I take an antihistamine after a bikini wax, to avoid the red bumps...not foolproof, I have very sensitive pores.)

Lucy

I am so going to try the conditioner for shaving... sounds interesting.

For myself I am pretty unconcerned with make-up and the like...

however if you would like to keep your feet looking amazing bath and body has a whole foot line. I love the foot scrub. It has walnut powder and mint and a few other things in it and it makes your feet soft and extremely ticklish.

But...OMG, I'm taking the plunge tomorrow and going to a salon for body waxing. :eek: :shake: Legs, underarms...and considering a Brazilian. Oh, shit, where's the masochist side of me when I need it??? :jester:

I'm doing the same thing in a couple of weeks! I'm really nervous. I've had my legs done before, and I gave myself a regular bikini wax, but never a brazilian. I know it'll hurt like hell. I hope you'll give us a full report afterwards! Unless it's really awful, I don't wanna chicken out, lol. But I figure the pain will be worth 3 or 4 weeks of NO SHAVING ANYWHERE!

Jayzuz.. What is wrong with me.. I've got another.

Okay.. Ya know when you buy black eyeliner and/or ya had it for awhile and it kinda takes forever to go on sleek?

It sucks. And takes forever to get that deep black look.

Easy fix.

Hold it over a lighter or flame for a few seconds.. literally..not too long so it begins to drip. Just enough so it'll heat the tip.. if you wait too long it'll go on smudged and you'll have to chip off the dripping liner.

Wait another couple seconds for it to cool; and apply. It'll go on uber dark, just be careful not to over do it or you'll look like a raccoon.

lol threads like this make me feel like such a freak. I don't think I am a real girl. =(

I rarely wear make up and when I do it tends to be foundation, mascara and eyeliner.
I do not even own a blowdryer.
I do not own eyeshadow or blush.
Or perfume.

My skin care consists of....washing with hot water and...an occasional mud type mask.

But a few tips:

Put a dab of blush on your eye lids instead of eyeshadow for an understated look that will bring out your eyes.

Do not use Nair to remove nose hair (no, I swear it wasn't me, lol. A friend of my mom's)

The ped egg ROCKS for taking care of your feet at home.

A clean washcloth works just as good as any exfoliant you buy in a bottle.

Witchhazel is the cheapest astringent on the market.

Home made scents/massage oils are easy! Can use sesame or other light oil as a base, then add a few drops of your favorite essential oils to create a scent that will last all day

Nothing you put on your skin/hair will make it truly healthier. Even vitamin E. Eat it, don't put it on your skin, lol.

I'm doing the same thing in a couple of weeks! I'm really nervous. I've had my legs done before, and I gave myself a regular bikini wax, but never a brazilian. I know it'll hurt like hell. I hope you'll give us a full report afterwards! Unless it's really awful, I don't wanna chicken out, lol. But I figure the pain will be worth 3 or 4 weeks of NO SHAVING ANYWHERE!

I would recommend taking a couple of aspirin about a half hour beforehand...and maybe a shot of tequila. Okay, well, maybe not the tequila. :)

I'm sorry, I don't mean to scare you, but the first time I had a Brazilian I swear I was in so much pain that I was seeing stars. But it's so worth it. You'll like it.

To wash your face- Cetaphil

Also, Cetaphil body cream is great for dry skin.

For overall healthy skin and wrinkles: Retin-A. It also helps with acne. It increases skin cell turnover. Obagi has a very good skin care line that you can use with the Retin-A...but it's a bit pricey.

Pro-Active is also a good for acne, but it can be a bit drying and it doesn't help with wrinkles and fine lines, so I tend to stick with Retin-A.

Sunscreen- Shiseido SPF 55. I like this one because it's very light and feels like you're not wearing sunscreen.

A good pair of tweezers- Rubis makes good products.

And lastly, drink lots of water. 6 to 8 glasses a day, or if you can handle more, then go for it!

Oh. My. God. What happened?

Well. She had nose hair. And she had nair. And apparently she didn't read the fine print, or didn't understand what a mucous membrane is, rofl.

so she gota trip to the ER, a nasty chemical burn, lost her sense of smell (not sure if it ever returned)....and one hell of a story to tell the grandkids.

Tanning =]

Woooohooo, I'll share my tanning tips.

For the ladies who LOVE the sun, when you come in from tanning (whether it be outdoors or the tanning bed) DO NOT get your skin wet for 4 hours, it cools down the pigments and reverts the color. Also, to make the tan last longer buy a gradual color increasing self tanner (can be found at walmart by the tanning lotions, oils and sunblock) and use it EVERY OTHER TIME. (you may also want to pick up a triple bronzer, they are a bit pricey but can be found at any tanning salon and online)

Self tanner users.. to fix streaks leftover from lotions.. use a regular lotion with aloe (as soon as you notice the streaks (works for spots too)) to rub it out.

For the ladies NOT FOND of the sun, to get a natural "sun-kissed" look, take a bottle of your favorite lotion. Mix a loose powder bronzer (can be found at walmart also) in with the lotion (there is no specific measurement, it all depends on how dark your skin is or how dark you want it to be) you can apply this to your arms, legs, face, feet, etc. I suggest a LIGHT lotion so it doesn't feel heavy. This is what runway models do.

Well. She had nose hair. And she had nair. And apparently she didn't read the fine print, or didn't understand what a mucous membrane is, rofl.

so she gota trip to the ER, a nasty chemical burn, lost her sense of smell (not sure if it ever returned)....and one hell of a story to tell the grandkids.

Impressive. I dyed my hair (on my head) with household bleach when I was about 13 or 14, but fortunately didn't do myself any serious damage.

I would recommend taking a couple of aspirin about a half hour beforehand...and maybe a shot of tequila. Okay, well, maybe not the tequila. :)

I'm sorry, I don't mean to scare you, but the first time I had a Brazilian I swear I was in so much pain that I was seeing stars. But it's so worth it. You'll like it.

I'm so scared!!!!!! Hahaha! Thanks for sharing that, I'll choke down some pills before I get it done. :D

One of the most important things you should do to help keep your skin clear is wash your makeup off! Anytime I wear makeup I use a makeup remover and cleanser cloth. They aren't that expensive (I got mine a reuse-able box from Wal-Mart for like $6.)

Also as everyone else has said drink water! And if you work outside lots of sunscreen. I apply 2-3 times a day at work with 50 SPF sport.

Keep the info coming. It's nice to have a thread that is for the girls! :)

Oh another tip for removing makeup, especially hard to remove or waterproof is to use baby oil. It is safe to use even around your eyes and it makes removing make up super easy and quick.

What's New

6/15/2024
If you need to report a post the report button is on its lower left.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** Jojo45 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back