• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Favorite Quote Of All Time??

Favorite Quotes

(aside from my signature...)

"My mind is my playpen." Quote from the toybox that held "Bombshell" of the original Transfomers - Insecticons. If this was sourced somewhere else I don't know.

In reference to someone being an angel, or angelic in nature, this response from a Neil Gaiman BBC 2 series... "Remember, Lucifer was an angel."

for silliness "Elf needs food badly."

another Teddy Quote "Talk softly but carry a big stick."

a quote of my own device: "Money doesn't make the world go 'round, it just provides the axis on which it spins."

and I'll end with...

"Evil will always prevail as long as good men do nothing."

military situation as of March 1936

The event in 1936 which Winston S. Churchill believed should have been a cause of war was the military reoccupation of the Rhineland. (On March 2, 1936, Hitler sent three battallions across the Rhine river, into the Rheinland, which had been a demilitarized zone by treaty since 1919.)

We clearly disagree about what would have happened had France and Britain attacked Germany in March 1936. And I presume that we will continue to disagree, which is not unusual. (I have been told by several people that I am the most stubborn person they have ever met.)

However, since this thread started about quotes, let me give two more quotes, neither from Churchill. Both are from "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" by William Shirer; as he gives footnotes for all of his quotes, I can cite where he got them. Both quotes are refering to the military situation in the Rheinland in March 1936 after Germany reoccupied it.

General Alfred Jodl, quoted in "Trial of the Major War Criminals" said this:

"Considering the situation we were in, the French covering army could have blown us to pieces."

Shirer notes that General Werner von Bloomberg and General Ludwig Bech (then Chief of General Staff) had similar views to Jodl.

Paul Schmidt, who worked as a translator for Adolf Hitler, pulished a book in German in 1949; an English translation of most of it was published in 1951. Schmidt, on page 41 of this translation, records Hitler as saying this in 1942, looking back to Marcch of 1936:

"If the French had then marched into the Rheinland, we would have had to withdraw with our tails between our legs."

It is interesting to note that the Germans quoted do not even mention the naval situation; they believe their army would have been crushed by the French alone, even without British participation.

You are free to disagree with the Germans' own assessment of their military situation as of March 1936; I am done arguing about it.

PS Alfred Jodl was executed by hanging on October 16, 1946.

continuing the thread hi-jacking

the german troops that crossed back into the rhein in '36 were under orders that they were to retire if apposed by the french.
it was one of the most successfull bluffs in the history of war fare.
steve

And now back to our regularly scheduled thread...

The guiding principle of my life:

"God is in the details."
-Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

"Raffiniert ist der Herrgott, aber boshaft ist Er nicht."
-Albert Einstein

Loosely translated, "God's tricky, but He ain't mean."

Strelnikov

"In this world, you must be oh so pleasant, or oh so smart, well, for years I was smart, I recommend pleasant." - Elwood P. Dowd

"People lose teeth talking that way, if you want to stick around you'd better learn to be polite" - Samuel Spade

"I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble" - Samuel Spade

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on" - Dean Martin

"What nationality are you?" "I'm a drunkard" - Rick Blaine

"Shut up......or maybe you still have too many teeth?" - Eddie Dane

"You do anything to help your friends, like you do anything to kick your enemies" - Leo

"To be, or not to be" - Shakespeare
"To do, or not to do" - Nietsche
"Do Be Do Be Do" - Sinatra

Though I must say, my favorite quote is probably is the quote from Dino in my signature.

Just a couple

From the Church of the Subgenius:

You'll pay to know what you really think.

They may be Pink, but their money's green.

If you can't tell shit from shinola, don't order tuna fish in a French restaurant.

2 Favorites

"I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. My sons ought to study matematics and philosophy, geography, natural history, naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture, in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain."

-John Adams

and

"There are the people of the day, and the creatures of the night. And it's important to remember that the creatures of the night aren't simply the people f the day staying up late because they think it makes them cool and interesting. It takes a lot more than heavy mascara and a pale complexion to cross the divide."

-Terry Pratchett

Enjoy
Bulldogge

Very nice JoBelle. "Damn the topedoes! Full sreed ahead" is one of my favorites, too! Others are (And I don't attribute, because I often don't know):

"A man's goals should exceede his reach, or what's a Heaven for?"

"Don't worry if your job is small/and your rewards are few./Remember that the mighty oak/was once a nut, like you."

"Are you KIDDING! That ball was IN!!!!"
(I know this one) -John McEnroe.

*I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer, engineer, taxi driver, Etc."
-Dr. Leonard McCoy.

Keeping with this.

"Don't misunderstand my next question, Mr. Spock. Why aren't you dead?"
-Capn. James T. Kirk

"I canna change the laws of physics! I've got to have thirty minutes!"
-Chief Engineer Montgomory Scott.

Moving on....

"F*** 'em if they can't take a joke!"

And finally.

"The cure for indifference was discovered, but who cares?"

Profound? Of course not! Descarte walked into a resturant. The waiter said: "Would you like the special?" Descarte replied: "I think not." and vanished!:blaugh:

'Michael Cole, Shut your mouth before The Rock rips your face off and wipes your ass with it!' THE ROCK, WWF, 1999. :D

Double T said:

Profound? Of course not! Descarte walked into a resturant. The waiter said: "Would you like the special?" Descarte replied: "I think not." and vanished!:blaugh:

"I am, what I am." (Popeye The Sailor)

Last edited:
Two more favorites of mine, both from Thomas Jefferson.

"Were we directed from Washington when to sow, and when to reap, we should soon want bread." (From his Autobiography, 1821.)

"... with all these blessings, what more is necessary to make us a happy and prosperous people? Still one thing more, fellow citizens--a wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government, and this is necessary to close the circle of our felicities." (From his Inaugural Address, March 4, 1801.)

three favorites:

"An adventure is a transgression you don't regret." - Kate Wheeler

"It's never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

and

"I have always known that at last I would take this road, but yesterday I did not know tht it would be today." - Narihara

"I sent them to the Klingons, where there they'll be no tribble at all" -Scotty

"Wait for my signal....then unleash hell" -Maximus

"Yeah, yeah, yeah,...Pretty neat, pretty neat...Pretty good, pretty good" -Jim Morrison

"Know your mouth...and SHUT your roll!! -Mick Foley

Drew

If you live to the age of a hundred, you have it made because very very few people die past the age of a hundred. .....George Burns

Getting results through people is a skill that cannot be learned in the classroom. ... J. Paul Getty

4 from Stephen Hawking

My goal is simple. It is complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.

If, like me, you have looked at the stars and tried to make sense of what you see, you have started to wonder what makes the universe exist. The questions are clear and deceptively simple but the answers have always been beyond our reach – until now.

Even if there is only one possible unified theory, it is just a set of rules and equations. What is it that breathes fire into the equations and makes a universe for them to describe ? The usual approach of science of constructing a mathematical model cannot answer the questions of why there should be a universe for the model to describe. Why does the universe go to all the bother of existing?

What I have done is to show that it is possible for the way the universe began to be determined by the laws of science. In that case, it would not be necessary to appeal to God to decide how the universe began. This doesn’t prove that there is no God, only that God is not necessary.

Ven

ahhh...how could I forget this one?

Throw your dreams into space like a kite, and you do not know what it will bring back, a new life, a new friend, a new love, a new country.
Anais Nin

"To do is to be." -Descartes

"To be is to do." -Sartre

"To be do be do." -Sinatra

Strelnikov

:angel: :angel: :angel: BUT, I'M INNOCENT!!! :angel: :angel: :angel:

Oh, yeah! That's right! I'm bad! *Does cabbage patch*

Quote from my father: I knew I should have wiped you on the curtain."

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it..

OR...

Those who repeat the past are doomed to forget it.

Take your pick, both are applicable to Earth today.

Another quote from my father: "Wipe your mouth, you're talking shite."

"You can't change the World by using your fist. You change the World by apealing to one's heart and then maybe they'll change their minds"....

The Greates Fighter of all time, Bruce Lee.......

What's New

4/28/2024
There will be Trivia in our Chat Room this Sunday Eve at 11PM EDT. Join us!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back