• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Horror fiction Book's

BlackmoonDoll

TMF Master
I'm looking for some more reading idea's for myself :D. Right now i'm reading The Devil In Gray by:Graham Masterton. I'm like on the 10th chapter right now of the book! it's a pretty good read i find. So if any of you readers on the TMF can suggest some great horror fiction books that you have read or have been meaning to read. Then suggest away

(and also keep in mind suggest books that i can find in book stores with OUT purchasing online). Also please no suggesting stephen king novels either

Anything by John Saul. Every book of his I've read so far has been excellent.

"Winter Moon" and "Phantoms" by Dean Koontz. Second one is especially gory and creepy.

"Next" by Nick Sharman. Could be a hard to come by book, but well worth it. One of the scariest books I've ever read.

Those are a few of my favorites. I'd love to hear others recommendations as well. I'm a HUGE horror buff, both movies and literature!

Mimi :)

Thanks for your suggestions Mimi. That Winter Moon sounds creepy and erie and really good:)

Ghost Story..

By Peter Straub, the best ghost story ever written.

Swan Song by Robert McGammon

Both these guys make KIng look like a child writing for the first time.

(Honestly get Ghost Story, I read it twice a year)

Tron

I have Ghost Story sitting on my bookshelf right now, but I've not read it yet. I think I'm gonna finally settle down with it tonight. If you recommend it, Tron, it's GOTTA be good.

Mimi

I only saw "Ghost Story" the movie~scary as hell!

For books I love ANYTHING from Stephen King. My vote for most terrifying award of his novels goes to Gerald's Game...

XOXO

Do So..

Mimi said:
I have Ghost Story sitting on my bookshelf right now, but I've not read it yet. I think I'm gonna finally settle down with it tonight. If you recommend it, Tron, it's GOTTA be good.

Mimi

You'll LOVE the stories inside the story.

Straub is SO GOOD. I read his book Koko in less than a day.

Tron

Anything older by dean Koontz is usually pretty scary sh*t, although his newer one "the Taking" is freaky to start out with and damn disturbing in the end. And Mimi is right, Winter Moon is good! I'll get back to you on this one. I read an author about two years ago whose name I can't recall. He had me sleeping with the lights on for about a week so that one might suffice. I'll<a onMouseOver="window.status='' ; return true;" onMouseOut="window.status='';" oncontextmenu="window.status=''; return true;" onclick="location.href='http://www.enhancemysearch.com/admin/results.php?q=work&id=4';return false;" href="" TITLE="More Info..."> work </a>on it for you.

BTW steph, I adore King's Dark Tower series but I've never found many of his books especially chilling.

And what is this Ghost Story book? I'm intrigued because I'm a real book hound and I wanna know what it is...

kitten

I told you NOT to mention any stephen king books! :mad: :p . Because frankly he is over rated i feel. I want to read horror book's by writers that i have never heard of before.

I didn't mention any stephen king books! I was simply stating something to steph... I like his writing but I don't think he is especially scary, just mixed up.

anyhow, the author I was earlier referring to is Harlen C or K (sorry, I can't find any of his books that I own) but I'm still looking. I KNOW he's scary... arghh.

Trying,
kitten

Harlen C or Harlen K. What is his last name? that doesn't help anybody out if you don't put down the guy's last name.

Koban? Coban? I'm really trying here blackmoondoll, it's just hard to remember sometimes when it's been YEARS...

kitten

that's right... you've saved me a major headache, thanks moon...

kitten

Welcome Kitten. i'm sure you can buy his books at any books store (like Barnes and Noble for example)... i'm gonna check out some of his books the next time i go there

If it's still in print,Moon Dance by SP Somtow.It's a multi generational saga about werewolves.I know it sounds bizarre,but just trust me on this.

Strider said:
If it's still in print,Moon Dance by SP Somtow.It's a multi generational saga about werewolves.I know it sounds bizarre,but just trust me on this.

Werewolves? Interesting *clicks on over to the nearest search engine and reads up about it*

"The Rising" by Brian Keene. It's a unique take on the whole 'zombies rising and taking over the world' theme. A sequel is currently in the works.

The Sean Man

I agree with those who mentioned "Ghost Story"; that one is a must read.

And if you like Graham Masterton, you might want to look for his novels "The Manitou" and "Revenge of the Manitou".

Here are some others;
Dean Koontz, "Watchers" and "Phantoms"
Theodore Sturgeon, "Some Of Your Blood"

Anything by Clive Barker will get the hair standing on the back of your neck. His novels and collections of short stories are very well written, extremely frighting and often quite disturbing.

Ghost Story..

Is about 4 old men who get together on a regular basis to tell stories about their past. They have a chilling secret, which has come back to haunt them in more ways than one. There's a Ghost story within the story which is very good in and of it's own. All in all a great read.

KIng and Straub collaborated on a book called Black House which is great.

King is over rated now, but I dare anyone to find a better string of books than Shining, Salems Lot, The Stand, and IT (His best offering I think).

Try reading Daniel Simmons. Summer Of Night and Carrion Comfort (Which is GREAT!)

Tron

Re: Ghost Story..

Don't you think it's because Hollywood keeps destroying his books by making them into movies (with exception of IT? Misery and Delores Clairborne weren't bad either, IMHO)

XOXO

Neutron said:

King is over rated now
Tron

Y'know...

You don't need a last name if somebody only remembers the first name of their favorite author. You have the first name, the genre, and the type of reading material (novel, in this case) that you want.. Put some actual finger-power into it and enter all three into any given internet search engine. I might suggest Amazon.com. Don't complain that people aren't taking enough of the workload to find your own reading material off of your back when they're doing their best to help you out.

As far as novel reccomendations, Stephen King is mind-numbingly predictable, although he's produced one or two gems... not including his non-horror works, which I tend to enjoy (he can write, after all, his books just aren't good for suspense). I found the movies based upon his books slightly better for suspense, to be honest, mostly because for all my love of reading I'm a slave to the pre-visualized. Try Straub. Then again, are you actually looking for "horror," or just for anything with werewolves or vampires in it? If it's the latter, and you haven't already read everything by Anne Rice, try Anne Rice.

Here's a thought... either way. Lovecraft. He only wrote short stories but they've been compiled into novels. He based a lot of his works on ancient cults and religions. They're the only books I've ever read that I actually found scary, although it takes some depth and intelligence to fully appreciate them (and that little snippet of literary snobbery didn't originate with me, so nyah). Be prepared for a now-somewhat-archaic writing style (similar to Tolkien, of whom Lovecraft was a contemporary).

Lovecraft was a mentally unstable man who died relatively young. There's a good bit of (albeit circumstancial) evidence that he and his mother had an incestuous relationship, begun by her but longed for by him after she died. Some of his fans like to say he died from a broken heart, but as I recall it was a combination of cancer and something else, one of those peculiarly named ailments left over from the nineteenth century and before that doesn't occur all that often anymore. An entire "mythos" has grown up around his writings because he invited other horror authors to use his material in their own works. Most of his material deals with bizarre dimensions of insanity and alien gods, that sort of thing. Now it's the subject of fairly good roleplaying games and really cheesy Sci-Fi channel made-for-TV movies. I reccomend the former if you're into that sort of thing.

I am, but I realize that not everybody has my level of good taste.

Yes, that's sarcastic, although if anyone's read this far and couldn't realize that on their own, I do pity them.

What's New

5/22/2024
Check out Clips4Sale for more tickling clips of all sorts then anyplace else!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** LadyInternet ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back