• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Independent films worth watching.

Slappy McGee

TMF Expert
In a recent thread, while complaining about bad films, someone said "If I hear the words summer blockbuster again, I'll kill someone" or something to that effect. This is a sentiment I agree with, and I have found I really have to keep my ear to the wall to hear about some really brilliant and wonderful films that quite simoly aren't what hollywood thinks we want to see. In actuality, independent films often offer a unique, interesting and much more relevant look at the world than do hollywood movies. I took a few minutes to think of some movies that a lot of people probably have never even heard of that really touched me in some way. Most are looks into some aspect of the human character, and most don't have "hollywood endings". If you are looking for a little more effort from a film, and a little less budget, check out some of these movies:

Memento
Reqiem for a Dream
Pie (not the food, but 3.14, don't know how to type it)
Happiness
Welcome to the Dollhouse
Harold and Maude
Metropolitan
The Sweet Hereafter
The Last Days of Disco
Crumb

please feel free to suggest any indie films you love, if anyone else here is into that kind of stuff, and if any of you have seen any of these films, I'd love to hear your impressions.

I just love "Harold and Maude". Great flick providing you enjoy black humor.

Slappy, Though I'm sick of hearing the terms "Summer Blockbuster!" "Roller Coaster Ride!" and "Popcorn Movie!", I'd never kill someone for it. Just said I would puke. I do agree with you on "Welcome to the Dollhouse", which was really good, and "Crumb", which I have on tape. "Crumb" also contains some decent ragtime jazz music on the soundtrack.

Drew

My favorite independent movie of all times has to be "Clerks".

I saw "Pi" and it confused the hell out of me. I had heard really great things about it, but in the end, it didn't make much sense. Which isn't a bad thing. I like a movie that makes you think.

Another good one is "The Opposite of Sex" with Christina Ricci.

sorry for the misquote, Drew, count on me to exaggerate something :)

and guitman, I agree with you totally on not only clerks, but all of kevin smith's films (but I haven't seen jay and silent bob yet), and also, the opposite of sex is a good movie.... gotta love that christina ricci.....

as for pi, I think part of the draw to the film for me was that trying to find a pattern in the chaos was not only the point of the movie, but the goal of the viewer. If you left with a feeling of confusion, that might just be what the director wanted :)

I'm glad everyone is adding their own favorites... it would be great if we could compose a sort of "best of" list through this thread. I know I am hoping to pick up a few films to put on my schedule of viewings.

thanks for the great responses, and keep em coming

I dunno if the movies Pulp Fiction or Resevior Dogs are considered to be independent, but they are two of my favorite movies, and they spark a lot of thought for me personally. I also agree about kevin smith's films, though I must admit that jay and silent bob strike back was kinda leaning toward a hollywood-type film, but that's ok. Well, I think I'm gonna bust for now. Hmmmm, man, something doesn't seem right. Wait a second............there......I just forgot to add dots..........later people........

Cube..definitely one that will mess with your mind.

Good thread everlast!

everlast... I would consider pulp fiction and reservoir dogs indie films... pulp fiction was what put tarantino on the map... he had no idea it would be that big, both great films by the way

venraya, I saw cube as well, and that was a hell of an odd film... really cool though... loved the twist at the end

thanks for posting

That's cool Slappy:) , How about "El Mariachi", which lead to "Desparado"?

WOW

SOMEONE ELSE HAS SEEN CUBE?!?! Seriously, I LOVE that movie!!! :cool:

el mariachi

Drew, if I'm right, that was the same Italian or spanish director who put antonio banderas in all his first films, including "tie me up, tie me down", and I have heard his stuff is very very good.... I'll have to check it out.... is it an english film or an import? I think import but am not sure....

pulp fiction put taranteno on the map as well as samual L, John travolta, and loads of other stars of today. we owe him alot for his casting skills.

Pi was abit dodgy - somebody told me i should watch it because im a mathametition. i thought it was clever in places - but it did lose the plot half way through. and never found it again.

Yay, nice topic! Here's my list of favorites:

Pi - Yep, that rocks! And I think it stays on plot for the entire length... I wasn't confused by it much.
Curdled - If you haven't seen this one yet, go get it! You'll laugh your head of at the ending :D
Nirvana - A brilliant Christopher Lambert, and the cutest female Co-Star EVER. 'Naima is ON-line...' Oh, it sends shivers down my spine :) besides, this is the ONLY true cyberpunk movie ever made. Who cares about the lack of perfect special effects? Not me!
Highway 61 - One of the best roadmovies ever. Besides, it has the coolest Satan I've ever seen!
Eraserhead - Lynch's first movie. Disturbing. Gave me noghtmares for months.
Book of Life - Hal Hartleys short take on the second coming and the apocalypse. Not only is it a wonderful movie, but it also has P J Harvey in it.
Cube - Whoa, EVIL! I loved it!

Can't think of anything else right now, but those movies are nifty :)

My brother seems to rent all of these types of movies.

"PIN"- a great movie
"Cube"-another great one.
"Pi"--another one.

I saw Cube on the Sci-Fi Channel, so I don't know what was edited out, but it seemed to me that it would have better if they tightened it up to just an hour and did it as an Outer Limits episode. The wandering and arguing got irritatingly repetitive after a while, but perhaps that was the point. (Nicole DeBoer spending most of the film barefoot was a plus, though.)

Clerks is simply delightful! A comedy about Geeks, by Geeks, and for Geeks is right up my alley. (I've been told that some women consider Silent Bob a cult hottie, so I'm rather hoping I can capitalize on my uncanny resemblance to him.)

I'm also a big fan of Pi and The Cube. Both were real thinkers and well-made. I've leaned a lot in the direction of indie films, and here's a few I liked.

Naked Lunch

Eating Raoul

My Left Foot

Wonder Boys (Not sure if it counts as an indie, but it sure wasn't a blockbuster.)

Trainspotting

Eraserhead

Dr. Strangelove

Clockwork Orange

Opposite of Sex

It's my Party

The Omega Code (even though the main character was a lousy actor, it was still good.)

Slums of Beverly Hills

And a few others I'll remember later.:cool:

Another great post!

Let us not forget 8 heads in a duffle bag.. I'll post my full list later.

I've never heard of them movie "Cube" what is it about?

"Train Spotting" and "The Slums of Beverly Hills" were also good.

"Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" was hillarious, but only if you are a fan of Kevin Smith.

Cube

It is about these six strangers who are kidnapped and placed in a cube room. They find out that it is only one of many rooms of a HUGE cube. They pick one of six doors to go from room to room. Some rooms are safe and others are death traps. When they open a door, they see a set of numbers. If the number is prime, it is a safe roon. If odd, death room. The numbers are four digit numbers: 6483. Each person is a genius in one way or another. It is a really, really good movie.

Not sure if its english film or an import, Slappy. I think the directors name is Robert Rodrequeiz.

Drew

thanks to everyone for making this such a great thread.... it really means a lot to me that there are people here besides me who give a crap about art....... I am making a list of all the films mentioned that I haven't seen... but I remembered a few more that were pretty col so here they are...

eXistenZ
magnolia

ok, thats all, but they are good...

bye for now :)

Series7: The Contenders.

A wonderful dark satire on reality TV, that takes things to the logical conclusion. Contestants hunt each other, the last one left alive being the winner.

Nicely done, and slickly made.

Myriads

Anyone remember "THX1138"?

Lucas's first film. Robert Duvall was brilliant, and the stark white setting in the first half of the film was chilling given the rest of the story's context. For some reason, whenever I watch it, I keep hoping someone will make a movie out of Ayn Rand's "Anthem".:cool:

"Eraserhead" was one really messed-up movie! I needed a healthy dose of Bugs Bunny cartoons after watching it on video back in the early 80s. "Bloodsucking Freaks" was pretty twisted also.:wow: :eek:

Drew

a few more......

I keep thinking of other neatO films to add here...

run lola run
the incredible but true story of 2 girls in love
lock stock and 2 smoking barrels
snatch
tromeo and juliet (not really good, just.... odd)

....I have never been able to find a copy of eraserhead to watch... I have been trying for years..... all of these comments about it is really good motivation for me...

What's New

5/18/2024
The vote for the 2023 Golden Feather Awards is still open! Vote in the GFA forum today!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back