• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

major winter storm about to hit half the nation...are YOU prepared?

TklDuo-Ann

2nd Level Black Feather
Well, here we go again! This is probably the biggest storm of the season. And, it's headed everyone's way! (MAP & Story) The early components of it are already creating problems in western states. Later today, the systems are expected to merge. Then, all hell breaks loose!

The southern states will see severe weather. Pretty much everyone else will be seeing snow, ice, freezing rain or some combination of the three. Chicago is expecting as much as 2 feet with blizzard conditions. Areas from St. Louis to Indianapolis are expecting as much as an inch of ice...after getting at least a foot of snow. Much of the midwest and northeast is expecting a foot or more of snow and then as much as a half inch of ice.

Sounds like fun, eh?! Power outages will likely be widespread. More roof collapses are also expected. Many roads will be impassible. As the director of FEMA stated in an interview yesterday, if you're not ready before this hits, it will be too late. So, what can you do to prepare?

If you live in one of the areas that's already had tons of snow, be sure to clear as much snow off your roof as you can to reduce the risk of collapse.

If you're expecting icing, clear any earlier snow then put salt down before it starts. Even though you'll still have ice buildup, it creates a bit of a gap so you'll be able to get under it to clear it more easily once the storm is over.

If you have cellar windows that sit low to the ground, try to clear areas for runoff so you don't end up with water in your cellar. If you have a pump, like me, have it ready to set up (provided there's power to run it) so you can stay ahead of excess water buildup. Be sure the hose is thawed out and clear of ice so it will work.

Another option for helping reduce water in your cellar... Grab a plastic tarp and fill it with snow. Pack it in tightly. Roll it up and place it in front of your cellar window. It will act as a burm to keep some of the water at bay.

Since most are expecting at least some chance of power outages...

Fill your tub with water that can be used to flush toilets.

Stock up on bottled water and/or fill containers already on hand with water for drinking/cooking. Remember that your hot water heater is a backup sorce of drinking water too!

Know where shut-offs are for gas & water in case you need them.

Have batteries on hand for radios, flashlights, etc.

If you use candles, be sure they're enclosed in some sort of glass and in a sturdy spot to prevent a fire. Camping lanterns can be convenient. But, be aware of the risk of fumes if it runs on kerosene.

Some areas could be without power for a prolonged time. So, be prepared to deal with the cold. Know where extra blankets are, etc.

Have your car gassed up and cleared of snow...esp. the tailpipe. It can be a temporary break from the cold.

If you have a cell phone, be sure you have it fully charged. If trees pull down lines, you'll likely lose your landline phones too.

Have a manual can opener on hand.

If you have a grill, have it ready to pull out for use in a well-ventilated spot. You can heat water for hot drinks to help stay warm, cook foods, etc. No matter how nasty the weather is, never use a grill indoors!

Those who are expecting larger amounts of snow, be sure any exterior vents from your furnace, hot water heater, etc. are cleared. If they get blocked, carbon monoxide poisoning is a risk.

Feel free to add other ideas for being prepared. I'm sure I've left things out.

After the last couple of years we laugh at 8 to 10 inches now. The problem I see is that it's been so cold there is some snow still on the branchs from Wednesday's 16 inches so just a little more could bring down more power lines then before.

I live in southeastern ct and I read that 2 to 4 inchs is all we are gonna get along with some ice the bulk of the storm is gonna pass inland CT so be safe all of you there .

Monday night-one inch of snow, tuesday into wednesday-snow and sleet winter mix 1-3 inches. By Wednesday morning-raining. If you dont have to drive i wouldnt the roads are going to be a mess.

Between tonight and tomorrow morning, 3-6". Between tomorrow and Weds, another 3-6."

Let's just say, this has gotten really old......:grinch: :disgust: :shivering:

Between tonight and tomorrow morning, 3-6". Between tomorrow and Weds, another 3-6."

So, this time, instead of me doing it, Ann starts the thread with the good news.

In Lancaster, the situation is expected to be very bad. They are saying several inches of heavy, wet, snow, followed by a long event of ice/sleet/freezing rain. Power outages can be expected here.

On another note: Why in heck do these storms always seem to happen on Tuesday? Tomorrow will be the third Tuesday in the last four that my mom has to cancel her chemo appointment, due to the weather!

Spring can't get here quickly enough for me. I can't wait for .. temps in the 50s and 60s. It's enough already!

Mitch

This sounds like a normal norwegian winter :p

We'll gladly let you keep it! lol

I'm not too concerned about the snow. I'd actually prefer all snow. But, this system is going to have a shitload of ice. That's going to be the main issue for us, bringing down power lines, etc. Some areas could be out for days or even weeks if they get just the wrong combination.

We are expecting a few days of bitter cold but no snow or ice fortunately. If you are in the path of this storm be careful. I don't miss the winters up north at all.

We'll gladly let you keep it! lol

I'm not too concerned about the snow. I'd actually prefer all snow. But, this system is going to have a shitload of ice. That's going to be the main issue for us, bringing down power lines, etc. Some areas could be out for days or even weeks if they get just the wrong combination.

And I'll gladly share some as well. So sick of winter. Hehe! But it's not as bad as the winter at my birthplace. Last time I talked with my grandparents it was -36.4 ºF up there!

This is the worst winter we've gotten in MA in over 15 years. I'm beginning to see the appeal of moving down south.

Yes I live in Southern California I got my swim trunks and my flippy floppies :cool2:

Yes I live in Southern California I got my swim trunks and my flippy floppies :cool2:

I hate the snow, but at least I don't worry about Massachusetts one day breaking off of the continent and becoming an island...lol

One of the weather team joked that we could build a frame around the snow, wait for it to melt and have a nice swimming pool. So, bring your turnks and flip flops. If you walk very slowly all the way, it just might all be melted by the time you get here.

The car isn't gassed up yet, but everything else is taken care of. Bring it on, Ella.

got food, got drinks, got blu ray, got hella snow outside my door.

I loaded up in the Tulsa,OK area Sunday,and left there Monday am. I was 12 hours or so ahead of that storm. I get a new load in the Houston,TX area,where it is raining on and off,and deliver that load northeast of Dallas,to Paris,TX.

Dallas airport is closed due to the snow/ice from the CNN report. I may not get to deliver the load tomorrow. Houston area is calling for a chance of snow on Friday.:shivering:

Stay safe, mon generale!

We've got 5 inches of a snow/sleet mix so far. I'm getting set to go clear that as soon as the first round lets up in a bit. Then, I need to go help another neighbor clear their roof before the ice comes later/tomorrow. I got one done earlier this morning that was 4 feet deep! Very sore! FOrtunately, the guy I'll be helping later is healthy enough to use my rake. So, he'll get to do the bulk of it.

We're about to get 20 inches and the storm should start about any second now and continue through tomorrow. I had wanted to go vote for mayor and sell some books of mine, but I think I'm gonna skip all that til later in the week or something. All the old people are saying "It's gonna be like the blizzard of 67,"

2eod1d4.jpg

but I think we'll survive. lol

Last edited:
Outside, there are 3-foot high snow drifts including one on our front porch...I had to go "EVA" outside to brush off the snow off the Hughesnet dish to restore reception and the snow went up to my knees...

Stay safe, mon generale!

We've got 5 inches of a snow/sleet mix so far. I'm getting set to go clear that as soon as the first round lets up in a bit. Then, I need to go help another neighbor clear their roof before the ice comes later/tomorrow. I got one done earlier this morning that was 4 feet deep! Very sore! FOrtunately, the guy I'll be helping later is healthy enough to use my rake. So, he'll get to do the bulk of it.

Be carefull Ann. :)

We have received a coating of sleet here and at the moment it is not doing anything.

Most schools were cancelled today and it is expected to clear up by Thursday.

What's New

6/15/2024
If you need to report a post the report button is on its lower left.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** Jojo45 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back