• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Pit Bulls?

Mitchell

Level of Coral Feather
I wanted to post this to get feedback/opinions about pit bulls..

I just read an article which said that a pit bull recently detected a life threatening drop in a child's blood sugar level.

Then, there was a poll.. asking if pit bulls get a bad rap.

This is NOT an editorial, but, from what I read in that article... it implied that pit bulls can be dangerous.

My aunt the astrologer was recently attacked and bitten by a pit bull, but that has nothing to do with why I'm posting this thread.

I personally have little experience with pit bulls, so I'm absolutely ignorant when it comes to their demeanor. My dog was a Golden Retriever.

Thoughts and opinions on Pit Bulls?

I think they're beautiful animals. But there are FAR too many stories of them biting young children, even after being raised in a healthy home. I wouldn't subject my young children to that sort of danger, nor subject the general populous to that sort of danger just because I thought the breed was "cute". I know I know....smaller breeds bite more often....but their bites aren't as lethal.

They do have a bad reputation, and I think it's unfair. People say they were bred for fighting, but there's a whole bunch of breeds bred for that which don't get the same treatment. Take greyhounds, for example. Some say you should keep them away from crying babies, because they'll mistake the crying for the death throes of a rabbit, and try to kill it. Nobody's on an anti-greyhound crusade, though. People are responsible for how they treat their dogs, and how the dog behaves. I feel that anyone who owns a dog, REGARDLESS of breed, should be required to take a training class. Canines are pack animals, and behave a certain way, because of instincts. People who understand canine psychology, and how to properly communicate with their pets, will be much less likely to have biting incidents.

Although some breeds have been bred to keep more inherent aggressive behavior (and the nasty tools to go with it) I would venture to say that in all cases it is more about the HOW dog is raised and trained than its in-born nature. I do believe I have read that toy and miniature poodles bite more people a year, far exceeding any other breed. That said, a poodle nip is a far cry from being disemboweled by the jaws of one irate pit bull. The accident you might have with a spitball & straw is more survivable than and accident with a double barrel shotgun.

I have MUCH experience with Pitbulls, having not only growing up with them, but raised/trained them myself. The fact of the matter is this.

People. Are. Stupid. Period.

They read stories, or take ONE instance that happened to them/a friend/a neighbor, and blow it way out of proportion. If they'd been bitten by say, a Labrador, there wouldn't even be a mention in the paper, let alone be blown up on the evening news.

Now, true to their breed, Pitbulls have a tendency to "not let go" which in turn, when they DO bite, the attack is worse than most any other breed of dog, which is why more bites tend to lead to the emergency room.

As was already stated, it's about how the dog is raised/treated.

And I am gonnna leave it on that note, cause this is a hot button topic for me and I don't wanna hijack your thread.

My thoughts on the matter, unless someone has first hand knowledge about the breed, they have no right to assume or comment on them. But hey, it's America. And everyone has a right to free speech and say what they want, no matter how ignorant it is.

They call them Nanny dogs in the UK because they are so good around children, that's all I know. It depends on how they have been raised or if they have been mistreated I suppose, just like any other dog.

I always keep my dogs fenced in, had a few bad experiences with other dogs and strangers. I have two dogs, one is a Pit. Great dog, gets along great with family and other animals in the house. Their bite rate is lower then other breeds BUT once they nail someone it's a problem.

The problem with pit bulls is more about the people who own them. Plenty of responsible people can and do safely keep them, but for every one of those there are ten shitheads who think a pit bull makes your dick bigger, and those guys don't properly train and control their pet which is how people get bitten.

The same thing used to be true of german shepherds and doberman pinchers when I was a kid. Those dogs didn't get magically less dangerous, it's just that the pit bull became more popular, so the odds are up that the type of guy who just can't wait to ruin someone'e life with his dog will be the owner of one.

Commenting on the other point of your thread, Mitch, many breeds are being trained to recognize important health statuses - like low blood sugar and seizures warnings - especially in children. The fact that a pit bull was trained is actually encouraging to me - the breed is extremely smart and if trained, can help show others that this breed is not just the bad ass fighting machine that so many think they are. Pitbulls - and other bully breeds - do indeed get a bad rap because of their jaw strength. But they are fiercely loyal and often very gentle animals. In Cincinnati, in the past year, they just repealed a city wide ban on them - previously, any pit bull taken in by animal control was destroyed, regardless of temperament. Perfect example of ignorance in legislation. Like others have mentioned, if you train them and socialize them (expose them to children and other animals) at an early age, you have one of the best pets possible. Period.

Thanks, des. You are the most appropriate, and informed, person on this forum to comment on this subject, being a vet.

That's good about the ban on pit bulls being lifted, and that they can be good pets if trained at a young age.

I know any dog of any breed can be docile or vicious,. depending on training, and living conditions.

Yeah, I think this whole pit bull think is self-fulfilling prophecy on our parts. I've seen absolutely terrifying pit bulls, but I've also seen very sweet and gentle ones. The difference always seems to be how they were raised.

I personally think they look rather intimidating as far as dogs go, so that may be part of it as well.

Any dog can be nice or can be vicious - it all depends on the owner and the way he or she treats and trains the animal.

One of my friends has a pitbull, very protective first few times I went to his house, but after a while he eased up, turns out he's a big softie who loves to have his belly scratched

From what I've seen, they're just like any other dog. If they are raised in a loving environment with good care, they are warm and friendly, and make great companions. If they are tormented, abused, and mistreated, all bets are off.

I like Pitt Bulls a lot, they are beautiful dogs. I used to have some neighbors who were part of a rescue program that adopted Pitt Bulls who had been abused, presumably for dog fighting or some other form of sketchy behavior, I'm not really sure. In any case those dogs had an aggressive side because they had a history of being abused, but I know my neighbors worked really hard to train them to be nicer. But generally speaking, they are sweet dogs

What's New

5/26/2024
There will be Trivia in our Chat Room this Sunday evening at 11PM EDT. Join us!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** LadyInternet ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back