• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

So I almost shot a man a little over 4 hours ago...

Ok Leo, gotta disagree with u on this one. Its not the fact that it was a screwdriver that he wasnt a threat, but the distance he was away. A man armed with a screwdriver in a close distance is a very REAL threat!!

Improvised weapons are every bit as dangerous as the real deal. The local police department has an exhibit of such weapons confiscated from criminal suspects, everything from broom handles to baseball bats to makeshift "brass knuckles" to weighted "rumble chains" and homemade "zip guns".

To your credit, Poetic, you correctly assessed the situation and erred on the side of restraint. That took guts; I'm not sure I'd have been as cool and professional as you were in that situation, but then I've had no police training. Having said all that, rushing a cop with a weapon is the stupidest thing anyone can do, let alone some schmuck who's higher than the international space station.

A situation that just might call for the use of deadly force is something which I understand every decent police officer prays he'll never have to be in. You did the right thing by discussing the matter with us.

Jim, it's okay. I don't view your post as confrontational, and I appreciate your point of view.

As full disclosure, I'm ignorant on the protocol of law enforcement in the situation described. I come from a family of accountants, etc, so no one I've ever known personally has ever been in that situation. My post was made off the top of my head, based on a thought I had, and if I was incorrect in my assessment of protocol, then I apologize.

The most important thing is that poetic emerged from the situation okay.

Mitch

Jim, it's okay. I don't view your post as confrontational, and I appreciate your point of view.

As full disclosure, I'm ignorant on the protocol of law enforcement in the situation described. I come from a family of accountants, etc, so no one I've ever known personally has ever been in that situation. My post was made off the top of my head, based on a thought I had, and if I was incorrect in my assessment of protocol, then I apologize.

The most important thing is that poetic emerged from the situation okay.

Mitch

Nothing to apologise for mate, no offense taken. I'm just always aware that these urban myths continually circulate and are believed and when it's something I know isn't true, I feel compelled to post. ;) Polygraphs are another thing. They are totally foolable (and in reverse, perfectly capable of producing false untruth results) and the official position of the FBI on them is that they are worthless as evidence.
This doesn't stop most people in America believing they're virtually infallible (without knowing how they actually work) and most police forces in the states requiring new recruits to take a test on one.

And yes, it is the most important thing. :)

You guys are truly awesome. I think that all this civilian life is starting to affect my brain. But, for the few that have chimed in with 'cop' and 'police', I'm not a cop. Private security only. No paperwork, no pulling over people, more action, and way less appreciation!

Didn't you or someone say you were ex-police?

No, I'm ex-military. Probably explains my normally non-sympathetic and sometimes cold dispostion towards the world. Oh well, at this rate, I'll start drinking lattes from Starbucks and get a job in a cubicle!

No, I'm ex-military. Probably explains my normally non-sympathetic and sometimes cold dispostion towards the world.

FWIW, I've been told that a lot of kids who came back home from World War II had a similar view of the world, after seeing all that death and destruction.

And yeah, I understand how security personnel get no respect. That's wrong.

Given the circumstances, you made a good (ethical) call on letting an intoxicated man not pay for his bad judgment call with ETERNITY. Taking someone's life is a big responsibility. Think about the sum of your own life experiences--how old you are, all the friends, family members, and loved ones who know you, everything you've ever done, and put it on somebody else, and then imagine it's snuffed out in the blink of an eye. If that guy was 40 years old, you could have ended 40 years of life experiences, all because he had too much to drink and got confrontational with the wrong person. However, had you fired your weapon, I don't think you'd have been in the wrong in the eyes of a jury. It'd be a pain in the ass to have to go back to court for a civil case from the family suing, though, and wind up being found "in the wrong", because a sympathetic jury thought his drunkenness excused his actions, but I digress.

Were it me, I probably would have fired, for a few reasons. I find the idea of being stabbed with a screwdriver more disturbing than if he were a drunk armed with a gun and shot at me (which would have had me acting in fear for my life, either way, but I REALLY don't want to be stabbed with a screwdriver!). I imagine you were wearing your vest, which, depending on the ballistic rating (3A is typical for most, which is good against many handguns, but not effective against stab attacks.), may or may not have been helpful. Also, 15 feet may seem to some like a great distance, but you'd be amazed at how quickly someone can close a distance of 15 feet, even if intoxicated, Up until he fell, you were definitely in danger. Also, taking into consideration what I previously said, about ending someone's life in the blink of an eye, I'd have thought that this guy had no regard for my life, so he made up his mind that it was either my life or his. I wouldn't let it be mine, because I'll be damned if some drunk guy kept me from going home to my wife and son at the end of the day.

One way or the other, I'm glad to see that you're alive, and nobody's life was ended. :thumbsup:

I gotta say the cops lacking "action" would of course vary from city to city........................

I gotta say the cops lacking "action" would of course vary from city to city........................

For the average security officer, maybe, and for the noncoms doing grocery stores and parking lots, definitely. But I work strip clubs, night clubs, private parties, and apartment complexes, most of which are in questionable parts of Houston, Dallas, Austin, and Beaumont. I get into physical confrontations every night that I work, usually at least 3, that result in me cuffing some idiot and his friends. I've had to shoot 3 men in the past year and a half. I don't know many cops who can say they've seen half the action I have seen in their entire careers. Probably not common, but most of the guys I work with have similar, and even identical, work history.

Like i said, it would vary..............Cops r more than busy enough in some places, some would say too busy!!

What's New

6/17/2024
Visit Door 44 Productions for ticklign clips! Details in the D44 box below.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back