• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Tell me what do you know about Finland!

I know you fought the Russians to a standstill during the Winter War until they overwhelmed you with sheer numbers and artillery bombardments and you got no help from anyone.

umm... you make really good cheese and have folks who like to play REALLY long horns?

From 1809-1917 Finland was known as the Grand Duchy of Russia.Nicholas II,the last Russian Czar was also the last Grand Duke of Finland among his many titles.

I'm a history geek,what can i say?:)

Finland, Finland, Finland,
The country where I want to be,
Pony trekking or camping,
Or just watching TV.
Finland, Finland, Finland.
It's the country for me.

You're so near to Russia,
So far from Japan,
Quite a long way from Cairo,
Lots of miles from Vietnam.

Eating breakfast or dinner,
Or snack lunch in the hall.
Finland has it all.

You're so sadly neglected
And often ignored,
A poor second to Belgium,
When going abroad.

The country where I quite want to be,
Your mountains so lofty,
Your treetops so tall.
Finland has it all.

lyrics by Michael Palin

Finland's main exports are machinery and equipment, chemicals, metals; timber, paper, and pulp. The breakdown of your labour force by occupation is agriculture and forestry 4.4%, industry 18.6%, construction 6%, commerce 16.3%, finance, insurance, and business services 13.9%, transport and communications 7.6%, public services 33.2% (2004). The population of Finland is 5,244,749 (July 2008 est.) with a population growth rate of 0.112% (2008 est.)

I want to know! :twohugs:

Beautiful country, as are its people. Helsinki is gorgeous in the summertime.

The world's longest palindrome is a Finnish word.

Your language is very difficult to learn because it's somewhat isolated (resulting from years of Russian occupation/influence).

Dammit, someone beat me to it...

Pony trekking or camping,
Or just watching TV.
It's the country for me.

You're so near to Russia,
So far from Japan,
Quite a long way from Cairo,
Lots of miles from Vietnam.

Eating breakfast or dinner,
Or snack lunch in the hall.
Finland has it all.

You're so sadly neglected
And often ignored,
A poor second to Belgium,
When going abroad.

The country where I quite want to be,
Your mountains so lofty,
Your treetops so tall.
Finland has it all.

lyrics by Michael Palin
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jgTyVkpJY3g&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jgTyVkpJY3g&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Oblesklk said:
Your language is very difficult to learn because it's somewhat isolated (resulting from years of Russian occupation/influence).
Another interesting note about the language: It's more closely related to Hungarian than to any of the Scandinavian languages. And Hungarian evolved from the language spoken by the descendants of Genghis Khan. So you could credibly call Finnish an Asian language.

Affectionate Dan said:
Dammit, someone beat me to it...
What, you mean the Finnish National Anthem?

Last edited:
I know very little about Finland, actually. It's population is a little above 5 million, denser in the south than in the north, which makes sense since it's so cold up there. It used to be part of Sweden, until the early 19th century. More recently the Russians considered it to be part of their country.

In any case, welcome to the TMF, AnnafromFinland, and congratulations on making your first posts. :D This is a wonderful place, have fun here.

In any case, welcome to the TMF, AnnafromFinland, and congratulations on making your first posts. :D This is a wonderful place, have fun here.

You've brought up an important point about Finland, Mils. AnnafromFinland is apparently from Finland! Welcome to the TMF fellow Northerner!
However, Canada still owns the North Pole!

:dancingbanana::welcome::dancingbanana:

Some of the greatest Bboys and Bgirls in the world come from Finland (which is the hip hop term for breakdancer)

Finland has a flag, and exists.

That's about as much as I know. :bubble:

WELCOME TO THE TMF.

:welcome::hello: The capital of your country is Helsinki. Your country lies close to the Russians.

Anna, you'll be overjoyed to know that I, unlike my compatriots here, have an astonishing knowledge of Finland, and unlike all those run-of-the-mill facts you could find anywhere on the internet, all of mine are fabricated:

The Fins (so named because the first settlers arrived on the backs of North Atlantic Cod) have an entirely reindeer-based economy -- and government. Your Prime Minister, Stag Flinthoof, came from behind to win a heated bout against opponent and barroom-patron-favorite, Buck Rattlantler. Flinthoof was widely known for his snorting and stamping, but until now, few considered his antler-fighting a strong suit. Many a bet were lost that "election night".

Unlike countries with democratic elections, Finnish government (such as it is) is chosen via a complex series of reindeer mating clashes, bar wagers and corresponding drinking games, which are too technically detailed for me to explore to any depth here, but it all works out surprisingly well because the bulk of Finnish intelligentsia who might be fit for office are permanently snowbound and reliant on the alcoholics who comprise nigh 85% of the Finnish population, and who seem quite at home with this style of government. Those intellectuals who were foolish enough to dig themselves out in search of establishing some more conventional form of order over your backward, drunken country find themselves ritually gored on the antlers of local politicians.

If you need to know anything else about your country (like the location of the nearest bar/liquor store, or how to whittle a snowshovel -- the two most common topics Googled by the Fins), feel free to let me know.

Welcome to the Forum, Anna. :)

What's New

6/5/2024
The TMF Welcome forum has a place for you to say hello to us! Take a moemnt and say Hi.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back