• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Working out at the Gym

Babyshambles

2nd Level Red Feather
Do you work out at the gym? If so, what is your routine?

I aim to go 3-4 tims per week for at least 1 hour at a time. I usually spend 45-60 minutes doing cardio work (cycling non stop at high speed or using a ski machine) and then hit the tanning booth for 10 minutes - well, we don't get much sun in the UK.

I aim to burn 700-1000 calories per session.

If I have more time, I may stay in the gym for up to 3 hours and do some weights as well. Usually bench pressing and free-lifting. In these extended sessions I may burn up to 2000 calories or more, although I suspect that you don't care. I'm a bit of a wimp at the weights, rarely lifting more than 70Kg and usually closer to 50Kg.

I like to listen to music the whole time - usually something really rocking and motivational. Green day Jesus of Suburbia was a favourite for a while as it's ten minutes long and you can get a good burst of exercise done in that period.

What about you?

I don't go to the gym - our university gym is too expensive for the non - "priveliged" :p - so I use free weights at home. Aim to spend about half an hour a day toning my muscles and burning fat, rather than building big musles. To that end I do a lot of reps with lower weights.

I also practice capoeira, so I do a lot of stretches to help me to stay flexible :D

I don't go to the gym - our university gym is too expensive for the non - "priveliged" :p - so I use free weights at home. Aim to spend about half an hour a day toning my muscles and burning fat, rather than building big musles. To that end I do a lot of reps with lower weights.

I also practice capoeira, so I do a lot of stretches to help me to stay flexible :D

Cool.

How many reps and at what weight would you recommend for getting toned. I don't really know what i'm doing. I just lift things a few times and hope for the best!

Cool.

How many reps and at what weight would you recommend for getting toned. I don't really know what i'm doing. I just lift things a few times and hope for the best!

Getting "toned" is really just a matter of building muscle, and in some cases lowering the amount of bodyfat you have. To build muscle, you need to lift at a weight that's hard but manageable for you and keep increasing the amount you can lift over time.

There are lots of different programs with different amounts of sets and reps, but the programs I've read about and use myself are 3 sets of 5-8 reps at the same weight. When you're able to complete all 3 sets, shoot for an incremental raise in weight the next time you lift.

Getting "toned" is really just a matter of building muscle, and in some cases lowering the amount of bodyfat you have. To build muscle, you need to lift at a weight that's hard but manageable for you and keep increasing the amount you can lift over time.

There are lots of different programs with different amounts of sets and reps, but the programs I've read about and use myself are 3 sets of 5-8 reps at the same weight. When you're able to complete all 3 sets, shoot for an incremental raise in weight the next time you lift.

cool. thanks spiffy

and then hit the tanning booth for 10 minutes - well, we don't get much sun in the UK.

Hahahaha.

I would agree with denver in principle at least - doing anything, and in particular weight training (and in particularly particular with a 70kg bar) without knowing what you're doing is a good way to rupture things and generally hurt yourself. Most gyms will provide you with trainers or at least some sort of advice and guidance as part of the gym fees, but if your's desn't and you don't fancy shelling out 25 quid plus an hour on a personal trainer then there's plenty of other ways to learn yourself how to train. Get yourself down to Borders and have a look in the Sports section, there's a million different manuals by a million different authors on how to get yourself toned up (I'd go for the ones written by former Marines or Army PTIs because they tend to know what they're talking about), start looking into stuff like Men's Health and magazines like that (yeah they're full of a lot of shite but some of the workout tips and exercises are really good), and maybe even take up a sport or something if you don't currently do one. Squash tends to be popular for cardio, but for toning your upper body swimming, rock-climbing, rowing and rugby are good also.

and then hit the tanning booth for 10 minutes - well, we don't get much sun in the UK.

Hahahahaha.

I'd also have a word with Redmage, he being the TMF's resident buff-bot type chap who is into all things fitness. When I posted my "halp me workouts!!" thread here he advised me to have a look into www.crossfit.com , which I did, and I've found it useful. Even if I do want to punch him on the days where tabita squats come up on the Workout of the Day. They've got all sorts of tips and info on there, everything from diet hints to exercises to learn and do, and their ethos is all-round fitness rather than specilaisation meaning you won't end up as one of those nuggets who has a massively muscular upper body perched upon matchstick legs who can barely run for 100 yards without getting tired.

So yeah, have a look at CrossFit. And do the other stuff I said.

And for god's sake stay off the sunbeds you tart.

What I'd do for toning and fat loss, is do the weights first (usually going for a weight that is tough, but not all that hard) and do 15-20 reps a set while super setting between a couple different exercises at a time that work two different body parts (Say, doing something for shoulders, then while resting shoulders, go over and do calves or something, then immediately back to shoulder, etc.) Anyway, do cardio after weights, as once you're done weights, you will have burnt through all your initial crap like carbs and yada, and will start burning fat a lot quicker when doing cardio.

Without any prior exercise, it takes roughly 15 minutes to burn through the initial stuff and start burning fat no matter what you do for cardio, unless you just woke up and haven't eaten anything yet, then your body has no choice but to go through the fat for energy.

BUt everyone is different I suppose. Also a good chunk of this is actually your diet. If you eat like crap, you're obviously not going to look or feel as good as you could.

yup right now four days a week hitting every body part once a week *including calfs and abs*

i switch my split up every week , this week its going

Chest/Triceps/Abs

Legs

Delts/traps/abs

Back/biceps

as well as two 30 minute sessions on the cross trainer once in teh morning and once at night

I was born hard as nails, and I still am. My RAF gym has everything I need to keep me that way too. I tend to walk through the wall of the gym instead of the door - it's a great warm-up exercise. Plus, I'm not allergic to brick dust - bonus. I tend to lift the whole weights bench for about 100-200 reps per limb, just to get into the swing of things.

I was born hard as nails, and I still am. My RAF gym has everything I need to keep me that way too. I tend to walk through the wall of the gym instead of the door - it's a great warm-up exercise. Plus, I'm not allergic to brick dust - bonus. I tend to lift the whole weights bench for about 100-200 reps per limb, just to get into the swing of things.

You walk through the wall instead of the door? Poof.

I stand in the car park for 40 minutes getting hit by cars before a workout.

When one of them gets really pissed off, I invite them to knock me through the wall (which has horizontal steel support bars running through it)

I usually bench press the entire female changing room, before making a 60 minute sprint away from a police helicopter - on account of my villainous entrance.

I then have sex with Madonna and go to bed.

That is all.

Do you work out at the gym? If so, what is your routine?

I aim to go 3-4 tims per week for at least 1 hour at a time. I usually spend 45-60 minutes doing cardio work (cycling non stop at high speed or using a ski machine) and then hit the tanning booth for 10 minutes - well, we don't get much sun in the UK.

I aim to burn 700-1000 calories per session.

If I have more time, I may stay in the gym for up to 3 hours and do some weights as well. Usually bench pressing and free-lifting. In these extended sessions I may burn up to 2000 calories or more, although I suspect that you don't care. I'm a bit of a wimp at the weights, rarely lifting more than 70Kg and usually closer to 50Kg.

I like to listen to music the whole time - usually something really rocking and motivational. Green day Jesus of Suburbia was a favourite for a while as it's ten minutes long and you can get a good burst of exercise done in that period.

What about you?

I work out 5 or 6 times a week. im not too much for toning though, im much more a size and strength guy. i play football at my university as well as being an amateur strongman and a certified personal trainer.

If your looking to train for toning and straight muscle your right in doing your cardio the way you do, but you may want to dial up the intensity in the gym, stick with the free weights do heavy work on your major compound lifys (bench, deadlift) and do more reps on your isolation stuff (curls, triceps extensions) as well as doing "Blitz" stuff (drop sets, supersets ect.). i honestly wouldn't waste the money on a personal trainer because most of them are stupid and don't really know what they're doing. Any idiot can take a class and learn what a curl is, but training is far more complicated then that. most trainers know little more then the average person. the magazines you see in the store are not much better and honestly give no real profound info for your money. check out http://www.t-nation.com/ it has articles from the best trainers in the world who work with all kinds of NFL players, olympic athletes and others and covers workouts for the average guy wanting to look better to pro powerlifters. im sure you'll find help there. check this out for a good list of exercises
http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/slideshow.php?id=16&subId=37

Make sure your eating right with alot of protein. what are your stats and specific goals? if theres anything i can do to help you out let me know. good luck

When one of them gets really pissed off, I invite them to knock me through the wall (which has horizontal steel support bars running through it)

I usually bench press the entire female changing room, before making a 60 minute sprint away from a police helicopter - on account of my villainous entrance.

That is all.

Chuck Norris?

That is all.

Well, doors tend to leave me feeling very confused.

I'm a workout idiot.

I don't use weights other than myself, I don't know how many reps, and I don't know how much I can "bench". Don't rightly care, don't want to spend the money on a gym I'll never get to.

I do stuff 'til I get tired, then I catch a breather, then I do stuff again. Usually involving gravity (since I don't have access to the International Space Station -- imagine how much I could "bench" there!). I continue this pattern until I'm satisfied.

I sometimes use "idiot isometrics", which is: I read in an article somewhere that "isometrics" is a type of exercise wherein one uses one's own body to create resistance against itself. So I do that. Never looked at an actual manual to see what isometric people really do, so I come up with my own stuff. Seems to work well enough, I reckon -- I'm not dead yet.

But mostly, gravity's my friend and training partner.

Well, doors tend to leave me feeling very confused.

"But... but.... why is there a handle on the "Push" side?!?"

I know your pain, sir. I know your pain... :(

PS: You're all tarts. I'm so hard I don't do "press-ups"; I do "world-downs"

This "joke" is (c) Chuck Norris Facts Inc. 1893-2008, no rights reserved.

right im doing cardio 2 times a day for 30 minute apeice

as well as training with weights at the gym

Google something called P90x. I've finished it twice and it's better (and much cheaper) than any gym I've ever gone to. Period. It includes everything from muscle building, sculpting, cardio, yoga, stretching and comes with a meal plan you can choose from depending on what your goals are. I paid for a gym membership once and went a few times, then I got screwed over and wound up paying a lot more than it was worth. Then I had a gym where I lived but got bored pretty quickly. I do P90x in my living room and you only really need bands and a yoga mat.

ive seen that before , it looks effective if your just into general fitness

dont you also need a pull up bar and dumbells too ?

My routine consists of 30 minutes rowing at a drag rate of 195-200, averaging 1:55 for 2000 metres and then lowering my rate to an average of 2:01 for the rest of 5000 metres. My best time at this level has been 27:15, which was almost complete exhaustion. I then get on the bike and keep at least 80rpm. I go for 30 minutes on hill setting; getting progressively harder and easier every other minute. After that I'm in the weights bay and alternating with free weights and resistance machines, depending what day it is. Push ups and sit-ups usually factor into my day when I get up.

Last edited:
My routine consists of 30 minutes rowing at a drag rate or 195-200, averaging 1:55 for 2000 metres and then lowering my rate to 2:01 average for the rest of 5000 metres. My best time at this level has been 27:15, which was almost complete exhaustion. I then get on the bike and keeping at least 80rpm. I go for 30 minutes on hill setting; getting progressively harder and easier every other minute. After that I'm in the weights bay and alternating with free weights and resistance machines, depending what day it is. Push ups and sit-ups usually factor into my day when I get up.

Your rowing impresses me, Tyke-Man, but your bicycling is "the gay". One day I will cycle my bicycle into Yorkshire and show you how it's done, Skipton-style. To be like me you must set a 20 minute course, put the bike onto resistance level 15 and belt it for as long as you can at 100+rpms. I like to go for 110rpms+ personally, because sometimes an old woman next to me sustains 100rpms and thus makes me feel all girly and inadequate. After this you must go into the weights room and roar loudly at the mirror.

ive seen that before , it looks effective if your just into general fitness

dont you also need a pull up bar and dumbells too ?

I wouldn't really say it's just for general fitness. It's honestly very difficult. I've been in shape all my life (gym, sports, swimming, martial arts, blah blah) but this thing made me throw up a few times. If I hadn't eaten anything, I'd dry heave. Took me a while to get used to it and that's the best part. The moment your body gets used to the routine, everything switches. I'd say general fitness is just staying in shape, eating healthy and looking good. This did all that for me as well as give me endurance I didn't even have when I was in high school on various sports teams.

For a pull up bar I use exercise bands of different levels. Use the same thing instead of dumbells. They show you how to sub the bands instead of weights and a bar. I know the routines now so I use my gym downstairs at home and use actual weights and a pull up bar but the bands are pretty damn good to start with IMO.

Now I'm looking at either MMA or Krav Maga for something different on top of working out.

I go to the gym twice a week and my routine consists of 45 minutes on the cross country ski machine working the legs,arms simulataneously getting my Maximum heart rate in the range,no higher than 138-140 then adjust to the cool down for 15 minutes when the cross country glide is the lowest then I sit in the steam room for awhile till I proceed to swimming 3-4 laps back to back in the indoor heated pool .
I have done this for past 2 years and have gone from being at weight 130 when I was married to now being 103 pounds and still working to get at my preferred suggested weight for a person my height and age .

I'm going to change my routine because I think I'm wasting energy. But it had been pretty simple. Running 5 miles on the treadmill 3-4 times a week. At this point though, I think my metabolism is improved enough that I'm just wasting a lot of energy running that much. So I'm probably just going to run maybe 1/2 a mile at the start and end, and then spend 30-45 minutes lifting.

What's New

4/28/2024
There will be Trivia in our Chat Room this Sunday Eve at 11PM EDT. Join us!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back