• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Things I Learned Living By Myself

Skipadeedoodah

Verified
I've learned a few interesting things in the past couple years of living on my own.

1.) Reynold's Wrap is by far the superior aluminum foil.
2.) Organizing seasonal decorations is worth the trouble.
3.) My mother didn't make us scrub walls and woodwork to ruin our Saturdays. She did it because if you don't, everything white in your house becomes gray.
4.) Lists make life more manageable.
5.) I am, in fact, capable of killing a bee.

Your turn. What did moving out on your own teach you?

If I don't do it, no one will.

Dishes are so much easier when you're not doing them for a houseload of fifteen people. Even washing by hand now is easier than using a dishwasher back at home. I can also leave a snack or a drink in the fridge and have it be there when I come looking for it later. It's also much quieter.

I can make eggs benedict whenever I want, not just on Christmas morning.

I've stopped worrying about my sisters snooping through my things. I can leave my journal sitting around anywhere. My clothes are my own, except when I "borrow" my boyfriends. I can also watch/read whatever I want, without someone leaning over me going "Whatcha dooooin'?" I can read in quiet.

If I decide I wanna color on the walls or on the windows, then I know that I have to clean it up myself. That being said, magic erasers are a nessecity.

Did I mention that it's quiet?

Without a woman; I would only have leftover pizza. Without a guy roommate; I would have left over beer. And, a hangover, and forget it's a workday.

Very cool idea for a thread Skippy :)

I've lived away from home for a few years now but it wasn't until this past summer I finally got my own apartment with no roommates.

Things I've learned since living on my own:

1) I am capable of killing large spiders...the discovery of Raid last year was a Godsend (sorry for those of you who like bugs :D)

2) There is edible food aside from what you put in the microwave!

3) I don't have to make my bed every morning, sure it looks tidier but sometimes I just don't feel like it!

4) I can leave my laptop open and not have to worry about someone snooping through my history :)

5) I can read and watch whatever I want without my dad being like "Are you watching that weird Japanese stuff again" ? Lol

Living on my own is great! I love my parents but having my own space is wonderful :D

Even though I don't totally live by myself (cuz of my youngins :D), I became a single parent some time ago, so I'm in charge of my household. I learned that:

1) I am very capable of installing computer hardware without crying and getting mixed up by all the cords :D

2) I will always wish there was someone else to kill the spiders :jester:. But I'm able to do it :scared:

3) Sitting down monthly to do your budget is not lame and will keep you from fucking up your money :D. Also forecasting a higher budget allowance for utilities during the summer and winter will keep you from being surprised by the higher payments during those months.

4) Living by yourself is the only way you can find out what you're really made of. If things run smoothly, it's because you made sure of it. If things go badly, you have no one but yourself to blame. It's wonderful :D

1. I thought moving out I would appreciate being alone. And I truly do. But I also miss the mess that comes with family.

2. I thought I'd love living in an apartment for lack of repairing items and lawn care duty, but now I'd do all of that and more to live in a house.

3. Don't EVER over-budget thinking it's okay "just this once" because "just this once" will start happening more than you think.

4. Buy extra toilet paper and canned food doing the winter months. Just...just do it.

5. You actually don't need to buy as much food as your mom used to buy. You are shopping for one now, not 20 million.

1. BILLS. the only bill i payed before moving out my mom's house is my phone bill. this is a whole new level right here!

2. turning off the lights and turning my heat down before i leave the house. $$$ saver!

3. decorating your own space is about the coolest thing in the world. i love the freedom and creativity i have.

4. laundry. (i actually just learned how to do that thursday...haha)

5. eating. i wouldn't say i've actually learned how to cook or anything like that, but, i have learned to very much appreciate all the cooking my mom did for me. i can't cook to save my life!

6. i'm much more of a neat freak. thursdays is my "clean the apartment" day and i go full force at it. when i lived with my mom...wow...all i can say is my room would be a MESS.

7. changing lightbulbs. they all pretty much went out one after the other and some of these lights are confusing to take apart!

8. don't buy things you won't eat. i literally just had to throw out milk from feb. 14th.

9. writing out a check. who even does that anymore, right? well i have to to pay for my parking pass for work and to pay rent...yeah, i never knew how to do it before i lived alone.

10. last...i learned how to be INDEPENDENT. it's true my mom would pretty much do EVERYTHING for me so i never really learned how to do..well..anything. i've grown up a lot since i've moved out and it's only been 2 months. :)

Mainly one thing:

Being a housewife IS a full-time-job!

Living with my boyfriend is actually the best of both worlds. We've divided up chores so I don't feel like I have to do everything. But we have the independence to do what we want.

It also comes with its own challenges, though. I've learned that I'm not living alone, so I have to accept some small messes. But open communication and honesty is also important. If I'm not honest about the things that really annoy me, I just bottle it up and get bitchy about other unrelated things.

1) The biggest thing for me was finally discovering that I had an identity. You might not think this is important, but if you grew up in a dysfunctional house being ground between the millstones of three domineering, bullying personalities, it looms very large.

2) Freedom. Freiheit. Playing Motley Crue full blast while I'm cleaning the house, with no one to tell me to lower it...and doing this in my birthday suit, too.

3) Making burgers and deep frying potatoes at three in the morning, or anything else I want to cook, can be the norm, and not the aberration.

4) Just watching TV without the benefit of other people in the room arguing over the color of Tom Cruise's belly button lint, or yelling racial epithets at the athlete performing on TV, or commenting on what they'd like to do with Connie Chung can indeed be cathartic.

5) No one's gonna tell you anymore about what you can or can't do under THEIR roof.

(some of this is lighter when having a roommate, especially the one I
have now, who is pretty handy and does help with the weens)

1. Shit breaks. And when it breaks, I have to either beg someone hand to
come and fix it, or I have to pay someone a million dollars to fix it. I can't
just call the maintenance guy.

2. When someone's at the door, I can't say "Can one of you guys get it?"

3. Nobody else walks the weens.

4. Nobody makes sure I have a hot, healthy meal for dinner. If I didn't
take something out of the freezer in the morning, I'm fucked.

5. I can throw S&M parties, and let people crash on the floor.

6. I do all of the same cleaning my mom always did (and still does),
when I always thought as a kid that when I grew up, I was never
ever ever going to clean!

7. Decorating my house and painting it by myself is one of the most
colossal pains in the ass that I've ever experienced.Thus, I will be
that old lady someday that has the same decor from "Way back in
the 2010's."

8. I don't have to get dressed right away when I get out of the shower.

9. I can walk out of the house in my fetish party wear without any
interrogation.

10. I can stay up as late as I want on the weekends (hey, I do have
some restrictions imposed upon me ;) )

I don't have TO go to bed at 9pm unless I want to.

You have to shop for food and make it for it does not majically appear in the fridge.

I can be lazy on my days off if I want to.

I can kill spiders but have my hubby do for he is the man.

I have to budget for play time. My allowance does not do it.

I've lived alone for a loooong time now. :D

1. Paper plates and plastic silverware are great.

2. Anything that can't be prepared using the microwave or Foreman grill should be consumed at or picked up from a restaurant.

3. The modern, "bagless" vacuum is a nightmarish piece of shit. If you keep using it after it fills up, problems ensue.

4. I can fix pretty much ANYTHING with a little assistance from Google.

5. Go cheap on the furniture, and expensive on the electronics. :D (Mattresses are the EXCEPTION to this rule.)

6. Keep your fixed monthly costs down to half (or less) of your take-home pay, and save some of the remainder for a rainy day.

7. Don't go making friends with your neighbors... It's like rolling out the red carpet for them to pester you.

8. Roommates are the devil.

9. Buying a house is a long and annoying process.

10. If you spill something on carpet, it needs to be cleaned up NOW. If you spill something on tile, your clean-up time frame depends on whether or not it can stain or damage your grout. If you spill something on linoleum... It'll keep.

3. The modern, "bagless" vacuum is a nightmarish piece of shit. If you keep using it after it fills up, problems ensue.

Disagree. If I ever got my hands on a pink Dyson, it would
absolutely, without question, double as a fuckstick.

wht_DC07-BC.jpg

1. that I am truly the "King" of my own castle, and I dont answer to anyone...unless Mom makes a surprise visit

2. that washing dishes by hand can actually be therapeutic...you can be abrasive to the dishes, and they cant reciprocate

3. Swiffers are lifesavers...get one..just do it

4. all the slaving and spring cleaning Mom made you do pays off...because now when you do it, there is actually no time limits getting it done

5. it will truly see if you can keep the balance book balanced, and test your ability to get the things you TRULY need

6. no curfew...you can come in whenever you want...and in any shape..sober or otherwise

7. and the fact that if you dont feel like cooking, you can order out, and empty pizza boxes do look festive in the house...depending on where they are lying

1. Paper plates and plastic silverware are great.

I'm w/the Rhino. Using paper plates & plastic silverware have saved my life by significantly cutting down on how often I have to clean dishes. :thumbsup:

So what has living by myself taught me? That my laziness/dislike for doing dishes greatly outweighs my concern for the environment , apparently.

Also ... I've learned that , given time , bananas will eventually liquify.

Mainly one thing:

Being a housewife IS a full-time-job!

Maybe if you're June Clever.
Really, I thought that concept went out in the 1950's.
Doing housework takes a couple hours a day TOPS. And that's on a busy day.

I've learned if you clean a little as you go, you're not staring down this huge mess and a mountain of laundry.

So what has living by myself taught me? That my laziness/dislike for doing dishes greatly outweighs my concern for the environment , apparently.

If someone says this to you, remind them that the dishwasher uses up clean water and requires electricity to run. Ask them to quantify and compare the amount of environmental damage done by the dishwasher vs. that done by your fully recyclable paper and plastic dishes. This will usually shut them up. If it doesn't, then throw their ass out. A man's home really is his castle, and guests should know better than to mess with the king. :D

Hmm, this is an interesting thread! Things I've learned being on my own....

1. Going to bed doesn't always mean going to a bedroom.

2. My 'goodies' stored in the fridge and pantry do not magically disappear!

3. Ramen noodles and deli meat sandwiches kick ass.

4. My music/TV is NEVER too loud!

5. Food/rent/utility budgets are NEVER to be underestimated!

6. Paper and plastic ware kick ass!

7. Extra toilet paper!

8. Dancing around the house in a bathtowel and shades is no longer awkward!

9. Hunger and thirst can both be satisfied at literally ANY time of the day and night!

10. The comfortable chair and TV remote are reserved for me and me alone!

I'm w/the Rhino. Using paper plates & plastic silverware have saved my life by significantly cutting down on how often I have to clean dishes. :thumbsup:

Also ... I've learned that , given time , bananas will eventually liquify.

PMSL. Pretty much this!
Also, that potatoes start to sprout (and therefore get larger and potentially more 'filling') if you leave them alone for months!

I been on my own since I was 16 and I learned many things like to take care of my job , shop at cheaper grocery stores, keep a a tight budget, not to depend on no body but my self,keep a tidy place , lower my standards if I have to ,never live with friends ,but mainly be independent .

1) The biggest thing for me was finally discovering that I had an identity. You might not think this is important, but if you grew up in a dysfunctional house being ground between the millstones of three domineering, bullying personalities, it looms very large.

-Among other things, this. I went from living with my parents, subject to their rules, to living in a barracks, subject to others' rules, to living with my first wife, subject to her rules, to having a brief, live-in girlfriend (I wasn't really subject to rules, then, but with no known personal preferences, I gave her free reign to decorate, and found I didn't care too much for the paint job :idontwann ), to being alone, with enough financial stability to start figuring out the things I wanted. It was great, I have my curio cabinet with my fantasy and wizard statuettes tastefully displayed in all their geeky splendor, and I had framed pictures of my favorite fantasy art. Sadly, the artwork is no longer displayed, now that I'm married, again. Oh well. I've still got my curio cabinet, though! :D

-Aside from that, always push trash down into the trash can to maximize garbage bag space consumption, and throw paper plates away with the dirty side down, that way you don't get ketchup/sauce on you when you push it down. When the trash bag gets full, and you throw cardboard soda cases away (meaning, on the floor next to the trash can, until you take the trash out.), when tempted to use them as secondary, smaller trash cans, don't throw wet trash into them, or they'll be stuck to the floor when you DO take out the trash.

-The best way to fill a dishwasher is to use dishes. Find reasons to cook and use pots and pans so that you're not stuck without your favorite travel mug when you need to take your coffee to work, because you didn't have a full-enough load to run it. Also, washing dishes is stress-free if you rinse them and put them in the dishwasher immediately after using them. It really sucks trying to scrub caked-on, dried sauce, burned on gravy, etc. If you DO have to do this, and the scratch-pad sponge isn't working, use an already dirty knife to scrape crud off.

-Ramen is awesome. Past Roni is awesome. Instant rice is awesome. Ballpark bun-length hot dogs are awesome. Pre-cooked grilled chicken is awesome for adding to some of the above-listed awesome foods. Bread is awesome for absorbing coffee in your stomach, so that the caffeine doesn't immediately go directly to your bloodstream, making you seem like a spaz. Eggs and sausage are awesome, and really easy to make. Store-brand canned vegetables taste just like any other canned vegetable, and are cheaper.

-Scott toilet paper (The cheap, thin stuff) is WAY better than Charmin', because you get more of it, and most people will use a lot, anyway. That soft stuff just gets torn up anyway.

-If you have a steady paycheck, and you're not completely stretched thin, allot a small portion to a savings account every check so that you pay yourself without even realizing it. Also, buy some CDs--the financial kind, not music or software. They have better interest rates than savings, and you'll be less tempted to use them for fear of the interest penalty from withdrawal. Ignore the savings account and pretend you don't have one until you actually have an emergency, or have enough for a major purchase plan. There's also a website called Smarty Pig, which is like having a savings account, except that it's specifically for purchase goals, and only lasts until you reach that financial goal.

Masturbation is better than sex, and you don't even have to pay for dinner (well apart from a ready meal for one) :zombie:

What's New

6/10/2024
Check out the TMF Chat Room for real time conversation with other community members! It's free!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** Jojo45 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back