• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Toronto or Montreal?

sasaxrah

Verified
Baldadonis and I are looking to get away in a few weeks and are looking to drive to either Toronto or Montreal. Distance isn't an issue, and hotels look to be the same in both cities. We don't speak French but know that isn't a huge issue either. The question we have is: Which would you travel to? What reasons would you have for your choice? Thanks in advance!

It really, really depends what you're looking for, and when you're going. I'm in Toronto all the time, and I lived in Montreal for 4 years, so I'm pretty familiar with both cities :p

Toronto is big. Big parties, big events. Lots of crazy wild fun, in the typical mainstream sense. Of course, being a big city, you can find pretty much whatever you want, if you're willing to look.

Montreal is a little more off-kilter. The style and culture is a tad bit more alternative... lots of great music and great food, and tons of wicked little events in the summertime... giant street sales, that sort of thing. Not speaking french isn't a problem, but it can be an irritant.

But yeah, it really depends on what you're looking for and where you're going, like I said.

Baldadonis and I are looking to get away in a few weeks and are looking to drive to either Toronto or Montreal. Distance isn't an issue, and hotels look to be the same in both cities. We don't speak French but know that isn't a huge issue either. The question we have is: Which would you travel to? What reasons would you have for your choice? Thanks in advance!

Montreal, but I live in the former.

I recommend looking at when you'll be travelling and what's going on in either city during that time. As well, think about what you and Baldy would like to see and do on your vacation and which city better suits yoru interests. Both have rich cultures and diversity of interests that can suit *anyone*, so I doubt you'll be bored either way. Which is a fancy way of saying 'look at see what the cities have to offer'.

As someone who's name escapes me once said, "Toronto and Montreal are like two brothers. One's a womanizing alcoholic. The other is an accountant." :D

Snail Shell

Don't go anywhere there may be Frenchies. That is all.

Rob

Wow, tough choice. Both cities have an extremely different personality from one another. I guess it depends on your personality and what you want to do on your trip. Toronto is VERY metropolitan: great shopping, fine dining and excellent night life. Montreal is very European: old Montreal is beautiful; the people I met were very friendly, especially if I at least tried to speak french; and the old world culture surrounds you everywhere you go.

I would choose Montreal even tho I live in Toronto. Montreal just has that European flair to it that makes it culturally exciting to be in.

Stay away from Ottawa, tho. You'll be bored to tears.

Cheers.

i think montreal would suit your style more, could be wrong though

i loved both of them

If you'd like to see Europe without leaving 'home', try Quebec City. Not far from Montreal, fascinating place- Only walled city in North America, founded in the early 1600s, and the Old Town still looks like an ancient French fortress. And has wonderful restaurants.

The British under General Wolfe beseiged it in 1759, and sent an emissary under a white flag to demand surrender. When asked for a response, the French General Montcalm replied 'Tell him his answer will come from the mouths of my cannons'.

Brave words, but he died in the battle, and that's why North America mostly speaks English.

Don't go anywhere there may be Frenchies. That is all.

Rob

May I ask why?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9V7zbWNznbs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9V7zbWNznbs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9V7zbWNznbs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9V7zbWNznbs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Hahaha! Yeah, fair enough. Although "Frenchies" in Montreal and in the rest of the province of Quebec have very little in common with people from France. Or with silly French characters played by legendary British comedy groups, for that matter.

Frontenac, not Montcalm.

... The British under General Wolfe beseiged it in 1759, and sent an emissary under a white flag to demand surrender. When asked for a response, the French General Montcalm replied 'Tell him his answer will come from the mouths of my cannons'.

The classic statement, "The only answer I have for your general will come from the mouths of my cannon and muskets," was not uttered by General Montcalm in 1759. It was proclaimed by the Comte du Frontenac in 1690 in an earlier conflict between the French in New France and the British. Frontenac was not all bluster; he successfully repulsed the attack.

What's with all the slagging of the French in this thread?

Thanks for everyone's input. Dave and I are now leaning toward Montreal and are really excited and also pretty clueless. What area of the city do we want to be near? We are seeing cheaper hotels near University of Quebec - Montreal in Centre-Ville... but don't know if this is an area we'd want to stay. To anyone who wants to play travel agent, your help is enormously appreciated. :)

I've never been to Montreal yet myself, believe it or not... so I don't want to be biased. But I'm sure you'd have a great time if you made the trip to Toronto... tons to see and do here :D

The hotels around Centre-Ville are relatively affordable and decently centralized. The subway can take you just about anywhere and you're not outrageously far from the lakeshore either so the piers are worth checking out. Want to shop til you drop: walk down Saint-Denis St. and Saint-Laurent Boulevard and you're set. Thinking museums, the Montreal Biodome is an experience for science lovers.

There are definitely better people to ask but there's my input... you want an experience: get tickets to a Montreal Canadiens NHL game and you'll experience something you may not have experienced before.

I'd say Montreal because it sounds more culturally eclectic, which equals exciting in my book.

I am also biased, as the one night I spent in Toronto included near deportations, hookers being beaten by pimps, and the police arresting my friend.

But I'm sure results may vary ...

What's New

5/15/2024
The TMF Links forum keeps you updated on tickling sites all around the web.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back